Pregnancy while breastfeeding and no symptoms?

A week ago I found out I'm pregnant, my baby is 1 year old. The only one symptom I'm having is some nausea, I don't have breast tenderness and I wonder if it's caused by the fact I'm still breastfeeding. I had some light beige spotting and I'm worried it could be a miscarriage (I had one 2 years ago), I still had spotting with my other 2 pregnancies, I'm afraid and my OB/gyn appointment is on 10 November! Did this happen to you?

shining8250

Asked by shining8250 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• From what I've heard, you can't really breastfeed AND get pregnant at the same time - the body almost doesn't allow it. I didn't get pregnant with my daughter until I stopped breastfeeding my son, even though we were trying for about 6 weeks before that. Tell your OB that you think you may be having a miscarriage or it's an emergency and they need to see you a lot sooner
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was BFing still when I got preggy with this one (I'm 23 weeks now.) DD had just turned 2 and was down to 1 time a day, bedtime. I think honestly I was dried up already as it was VERY easy to wean her after that, and I had no problems with leaking or engorgement. I did have some spotting in the beginning, I think it was just implantation though... but if you already have a positive test you're way past that... I would call the doc & ask them to put your mind at ease, if anything else.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I thought you couldn't get pregnant when you were BFing too, SweetPieMama24, but once I started solids with DD and cut down on her BF sessions my period came back right away. My doc wanted to put me on birth control but I didn't want it. (DH works so much sex is almost non-existent these days.)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yeah I noticed once I slowed down with the BFing, that's when i got pregnant (according to the due date they gave me). Cuz i was BF'ing 24/7 - and when my son was around 7-8 weeks old I slowed down because I was going back to work. I would def just call the OB and tell them ur worried and it doesnt sound normal.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was exclusively breastfeeding my son and he was 3 months old when I got pregnant with my second child. It is TOTALLY possible to get pregnant while breastfeeding.
    That being said I did spot lightly with my second (and not my first). I wouldn't be concerned unless it is bright red. Your cervix could be a little irritated or something. I agree with swwetpea that you could call back and make sure your OBYGN knows about your history of miscarriage. They might be able to get you in sooner.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, it is normal to not have all the Signs and Symptoms of pregnancy, regardless if you are breastfeeding or not. many women never get morning sickness or breast tenderness, etc.
    if you are worried, definitely speak with your midwife.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I am breastfeeding and pregnant, and didn't really have any breast tenderness. I would call your provider if you're worried.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 26, 2010