Have your kids ever missed a day of school because you're sick?

I have been up literally all night with either a wicked case of food poisoning or stomach flu. I feel so nauseous and exhausted.
My husband told me to just keep them home since he had to leave 2 hours ago. I'm pretty sure I'm going to just chance puking in the car and take them but I feel horrible.

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 10:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Luckily, no, but it came close a few times.  There were times I was so sick with the flu (aches, chills, sore throat, hacking cough, etc) that I debated taking them especially when it was 10 minute walk and it was sub-zero temps.  But if I was that sick that I couldn't really get out of bed and they weren't able to get themselves to school than they would just have to miss.

They've been walking themselves to school for awhile now, though.  I don't even have to get up in the morning if I don't want to.  They get themselves up, ready and leave for the bus on their own.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No..never. I would think that if you are that sick, you would want them to go to school so you can rest.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Take them, then get some rest like the first poster said...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:16 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• mines not in school yet, but i have friends who have done this. to me its just ridiculous. who wants a healthy, active LOUD child running around the house while they are sick? I would rather suck it up for a half hour to get him off to school and then have a nice quiet day
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:19 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No but I have been in a position were I couldn't and my neighbor did, she saw I was pale and sick and offered to take them.

That is why you should honestly have the buddy system- I did that now made friends with other moms that could help me. or dad would have to sacrifice being late if possible.

Meet moms that can help you, if right now you don't know anyone then you can't do anything about it....

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, I have not done that, mine have always gone to school.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, never.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:17 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would be calling a neighbor to see if they could catch a ride, not figuring out how to keep them at home! You need your rest. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Not while they were in public school, we lived close enough for them to walk or far enough to catch the bus. Now that we homeschool, sort of. If I'm too sick to teach they get an easy day with educational movies and computer games. They are still learning, but it's more of a "sub" day in public school and when I'm better we go back to our regular lesson plans.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:20 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• only once other then that ther big enough to catch the bus or call there older sister.
    desires_place

Answer by desires_place at 10:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2010