When pregnant, can you take extra strength tylenol OR does it have to be regular strength?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 10:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doc told me regular strength Tylenol only. But for headaches, she said I could take one baby aspirin followed by 2 reg Tylenol. Ask your doc though.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When I was pregnant 5yr ago I was told to take regular strength Tylenol, not extra strength. I don't know if that has changed, so to be safe I would suggest you call your ob/gyn or call your pharmacist and see what they say.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You can take the extra strength, you just don't go over the recommended dosage of 500 mg. (I believe that's one extra strength). Also, if you take tylenol, be careful not to mix it with any other drug that contains a pain reliever, like some cold medicines.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:18 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It has changed, you can take extra strength but just stick to get the recommended dosage. Tylenol (unfortunately) doesn't do much, that's why it's safe and practically the only drug of choice for us preggo's
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I always took extra strenght and I would take 2 but I also took ibuprofen when needed as well
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yeah I'm with MizLee - call the doc, but otherwise I don't think there's a problem taking extra strength.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It has to be regular strength and acetemophin (sp?) free I believe. Grab a bottle and ask the people at the pharmacy they will know.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 6:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010