any advice on how to eliminate tantrums

my dughter is almost 3 and throws a tantrum everytme she dont get e way. ive tried talking, time outs, a swat on the bottm. im outof ideas and i could really use some advice

mg25

Asked by mg25 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get John Rosemond's new parent power.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Ignore her, as hard as it may be you place her in her room and tell her when you calm down we can talk...

Trust me it gets harder and harder but eventually she will get it that you are not tolerating it anymore....

My seven year old is starting to get the picture, it gets worst before it gets better, she is my baby girl but obviously she is not a baby anymore, and it seems very stressful at times, but it has been a week and seems to be getting better. Hard work pays off... Good luck
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I send my currently 2 yo to her room when she starts with a tantrum. She has to stay there until she calms down and then she can come back out. We have been doing this since she was 18 mos or so and the length and amount of the tantrums have decreased. It takes a lot of time, patience, and consistency to get them to see the light. Most of the time I just have to ask her if she needs to go to her room to calm down and it stops the tantrum in its tracks. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When I was little and started my first tantrum my mother poured a cup of ice cold water on my face...I never threw another tantrum.

With my DD, I took away toys. Starting with her favorite. Then AFTER she stopped she was in time out, if she talked or moved time out started all over. When she was done she had to tell me what she did and apologize.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 12:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I tell my daughter that throwing a fit will not get her what she wants, make sure he understands that and then I leave her be until she clams down
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 12:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2010