What are your judgy mom retractions?

I read this blog on The Stir and thought it was a great question! :)

http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/111359/10_judgy_mommy_retractions?result=comment_added&comment_state=member&success=1#comments

What things have you changed your opinion on since becoming a mommy?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:37 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Judgy Non-mom - Parents who can manage their time and shopping lists better would have no reason to drag their kid to the grocery store at 11:00 at night when they should be sleeping.

Retraction - Here, can you hold my excessively pooping child while I run and grab some Pedialyte and tell me it could have been planned or waited until the morning. Thanks.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 1:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I swore I would never let my kid wear cowboy boots with shorts....and yet, he wore them numerous times and to preschool no less.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Actually when I was a teenager I was scared of babies. I look back on it now and I laugh. But I swore I would never have kids. When I first found out I was scared to death. My mom reassured me that it was different with your own. I ended up having two boys and a girl. I would trade them for anything.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I never really had any, but I remember when my daughter was little, my mom was watching her and my SIL swore that when she had children she would never burden her mother with her children! When in fact her mother was the ONLY babysitter those kids ever had. Too funny.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I used to like the song Blue Dress by Depeche Mode and would play it as loud as I wanted, I guess I was too young to really understand the meaning. But after my DD was born song lyrics really just come through to my ears over the music.
    I guess I am just particular in what I listen too now.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I never wanted to be that mom that fed their kid chicken nuggets, hot dogs, or spaghetti-o's for supper, but I am. It's tough working full time and then trying to make a fresh, full course meal.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Ha omg that made me laugh. I only have ONE child and i still cant get his name out the first time!
    I have to yell at my son because he has very selective hearing!
    fast food.. I dont really like it and I tell my son that its bad for us, and everytime i give in as we order he guilt trips me by saying burger king is so bad for you..
    I have used a child leash about 5 times.. he liked his freedom, but we got some nasty comments, now hes better at holding hands
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Food. I still have this opinion but came to realize that needs of children are so very different and sometimes flat out difficult. I am into healthy organic food. My son has difficulty with a lot of foods and may have a sensory issue with foods. At this point, if it is edible and hints at looking somewhat healthy and he will eat it - I'm doing a happy dance. To other parents looking on it may look negligent.  I have also changed my mind about freedoms.  I give more.  I would have said it is important to watch your child like a hawk but really being a helicopter parent isn't doing anyone any good.  Again, to some on lookers I may look like I am not paying attention or am being really negligent.   And of course there are many more.  I still am true to my values and core beliefs but the day to day things have changed.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:14 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I learned that things aren't always what they seem. So keep an open mind.

I learned to never say never.

I learned to never say what I would do in a certain situation with too much certainty if it never happened to me. Because it usually isn't the case when it does.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I thought one would be enough I had 2 girls love it :)
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2010