med question

i read its ok to take claritin and that it dosent harm baby but is it safe im in 2 tri and havent been to my dr yet im waiting for insurance to send me my card. i took 1 cause i couldent breathe so i hope its ok..

Kittty_Katt

Asked by Kittty_Katt at 10:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• For future reference, safefetus.com is a great website to check medicines out.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Call the pharmacy,they can tell u for sure.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My OB gave me a list of medicines that were thought to be ok during pregnancy and ones that were really dangerous, and anything else we were supposed to ask about at an appt or call. I took Claritin while I was pregnant, because my prescription medicine (Clarinex--the stronger version of Claritin) was not ok--or hadn't been used enough to assume it's ok anyway. Claritin should be fine, but it's always good to call the OB office and ask them before taking something new.

I have also used Rx List.com to check on a medication. I think Claritin is in the B category, so it is likely to be ok for most people
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think Claritin is fine, but yes call the pharm to be sure. My doc told me the same hormones that make amniotic fluid make mucous so that's why a lot of preggy women are stuffy. Maybe get a humidifier or take a steamy shower & that will help, at least temporarily.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• ive never n my life had trouble w/ my allergy's {i am allergic to my cats when im preggo sad to say} maby its that??
    Kittty_Katt

Comment by Kittty_Katt (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Just dont take Claritin D. Other ones ok.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:01 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I had a lot of asthma problems while pregnant, my OB said it's much more important that your baby gets enough oxygen then to worry about allergy/inhaler usage. But do ask them about what allergy meds they approve of.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• im glad i can take it .. i have 2 cats 1 sheds a lot when im unpreggo im find but get a cat round me when i am and im awful..
    Kittty_Katt

Comment by Kittty_Katt (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2010