HYLAND'S TEETHING TABLETS RECALLED!

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm230762.htm

(Sorry it's not really a question, just thought all parents would want to know)

My pediatrician warned me to not use them because of the belladonna in them, so glad I listened. It's a scary world out there :/

SweetPieMama24

Asked by SweetPieMama24 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BUMP wow scary :(
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It is still good to post. I had to throw some opened vegies away because the Kroger vegetables were recalled, I read it here on the stir about a week ago.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:50 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Not that I disagree with the recall, but its no different than any other recall... belladonna is a niteshate, and provides analgesic pain relief when used properly- like ANY medication, it has to be used with discretion.

Just look at the history of western medicine... Hell, the first epidural/spinal block contained cocaine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Why on earth would someone give a baby teething tablets anyway??? That's just stupid, to me anyway..... What happened to raising children the old fashioned way? Everyone has a pill, drop, med, of some kind to take pain away, etc... Our boys are fine, and I didn't have to give them anything when they teethed...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When my son was starting to teeth, he was HORRIBLE. I called the pediatrician for some recommendations, and I even asked about the Hylands and they said no because of the belladonna. They said I could use Motrin, a frozen bagel, or the teething biscuits. I've used the biscuits and frozen teething rings since then - he never got any medicine for it. and I'm so glad I didnt get him any now with all these recalls going on
    SweetPieMama24

Comment by SweetPieMama24 (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Why would someone give them to their children? Well because my son got all 4 of his 2 year molars at the same time and was miserable. That was the first and only time he got any pain meds for teething and the old fashioned way was to rub some alcohol on their gums to numb the pain not let them suffer in pain! Get over yourself.

As for the recall and the comment about the Belladonna it is just like any other drug out there and that truly is what it is natural or not. They all need to be used correctly and with discretion. Thanks for posting the recall though I will be letting my friends who still need to use them know about it. We are done with them in our house though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:59 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I used this and I never saw a problem. Thanks
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I didnt want to use this product with my child. I had read some disturbing stories posted by mothers. But when it came time that my son started to teeth he would be fine all day but, up and down all night. I am the only caregiver of my child I dont live near family and his father dosent help. So I gave in and used Hylands. I didnt want to hop my kid up on tylenol or ibrofuen and the alchol thing didnt work for him. He wouldnt chew on anything no matter what it was hot,cold,food or an inaminate object. Funny thing my parents bought me a bottle which I have used the whole time but Inoticed one thing that was different from the bottle they sent me to a bottle I had looked at in Walmart. The one I have says give 3 tablets when needed. The one at Walmart said to give 6 tablets. So I think that the this product needs to be used responibly. I gave my son 3 at night when he wakes up crying and holding his mouth.
    JenniferQ24

Answer by JenniferQ24 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• That is the only time in a 24 hr period of time I give him the Hylands teething tablets. A lot of parents just want the crying to stop. I cant say I blame them I know the feeling but they need to be aware of what is in the things they gave them and the dangers that exsist with said product wether it is the teething tablets or anything else. I would prefer my child learn to manage his pain but I also dont want him to become a mean person because I made him deal with more pain then he could emotionally,phsically,or mentally deal with. ALso people tend to forget that every child is different what works for one does not work for another. A parent has to RESPOSIBLY make the the right decsions. My god children were soothed when I played country music and rocked them in my arms while singing. My son yea right dosent work for him. Thank you for the posting though I always try to keep up with the recalls that impact my childs life.
    JenniferQ24

Answer by JenniferQ24 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010