How do I get my 2 1/2 year old to stop being mean?

I just started babysitting a 1 and 3 year old and I think he's jealous. He's never acted like this before. He pushes and pinches them. But then sometimes he's really good with them. I've tried spanking and time out and neither work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• consistency is everything when it comes to kids I believe. Although I have a 4 year old that has recently started these things with her little sister. I am trying right now to recognize it by not being negative back. When she does it I take her to another room and discuss with her that it hurts her sister's feelings and how would she feel if that was done to her and then she has to sit on the chair of 4-5 min and think about it. when times up she has to appologize to her sister. I noticed that this seems to be working. Less meaness each day now. I think it is the stoping the situation, making them think about what they have done and then confronting the situation by appology. It might work on your end. Good luck
    emsmommy225

Answer by emsmommy225 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have the same problem with my almost 3 year old (5 days away). She also throws fits and everything if she doesn't get what she wants. I have many thoughts as to why she does it but any thing I try fails. I think more or less it is what you say and your child is jealous. I put my daughter in time out in her bed and shut the door. Usually that will make her stop for the day! Good luck!
    tisha1030

Answer by tisha1030 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It takes a while for a child to adjust to new routines, and to sharing their mommy. I would suggest just stay strong with the time outs. If you just "give up" on a time out, he wil learn that he can get around them... also, try making a picture schedule of they day, and show him so he knows what to expect during the day. Also, try to make a schedule of what you want to do.. I know the one year old is too little for many activites, but try to keep them busy during the day, and your child will soon follow suit.
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 7:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010