Potty Training, Wants to use his diaper. adult content

So my son is 2 yrs 4 months and 1 week old. I think we missed the boat on potty training. He was VERY interested a couple months ago, but at the same time, I found out my husband had cheated over the last 5 years with 10+women, so It was just too much to potty train with all that going on. Well now, when I try to get him to go in the potty he refuses and says he only wants to go in his diaper. Also, he is scared of bathroom lately he doesnt want me to wash his hair..and so i think the fear of staring at the bath tub may be playing into why he refuses the toilet, cause he has been using the toilet for about a year MOST of the time..until he got scared of having his hair washed, and then i went thru the whole drama with the husband.. Please help with ideas, I've suggested "being a big boy" "peeing in the potty like dad" for the last year until 2-3 months ago, he was 100% poop trained in the potty.. he only had once accident

JaelynS

Asked by JaelynS at 11:03 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Kids' Health

• his one poop accident was about 4-5 months ago we were on a trip, and we couldn't get off the interstate quick enough for him to go to a bathroom.. but i didn't make any thing of it, I just cleaned him up, said good job, cause he did take care of some business in the toilet.. idk.. he just was always 100% on the pooping the potty.. the pee training is where we were having trouble, cause he wanted to mark his territory all over the house.. which was awful and he just thought it was hillarious, and i couldn't get him to stop.. so that's why i couldn't just let him run around bare, or diaper free with undies..
    JaelynS

Comment by JaelynS (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• He isn't ready... Just wait til he shows interest again
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:12 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'm kinda going through the same thing with my LO. All the 'professionals' say its normal for them to go back and forth and we just can't give up. Easy for them to say. Anyway GL and here's a {hug} for what you've been through.
    luv2mum

Answer by luv2mum at 11:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thank You. We just know some one who has a kid that is 12, and still wears diapers 24/7. He isn't disabled or handicapped in anyway.. he just doesnt want to use the toilet.. and that scares me... I know, I'm talking a 10 year difference here..lol..but still, It's nerve wrecking. We It's been 2-3 months, and we are just now getting him back to taking a bath without screaming like we are trying to kill him... It's sooo confusing having a toddler..lol... He used to love Baths, and love using the potty...
    JaelynS

Comment by JaelynS (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son is about the same age, and he was doing a great job for a while and now he's not really interested most days. I don't really think he's ready yet (even when he was interested I didn't think his bladder was ready), so I just gave him opportunities to practice if he's interested, but no pressure if he's not. I get stressed out enough as it is, so I don't want to create more for us. I'm going to try not to stress about it unless he's still not potty trained by 3 or 4. I've always heard boys are often later than girls, but I felt pressure to start early when my mom told me I was potty trained by age 2. All kids are different though. Just take a break from it, and try again soon if he's interested.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:53 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'd just get rid of the diapers completely. You could also maybe get a child's potty and keep it outside the bathroom door or in the kitchen (I'm just thinking keeping it on tile or wood is better than carpet in case he misses) that way he wouldn't have to go in to the bathroom. Good luck.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 7:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We have a small potty in the bathroom, but he has never sat on it.. he doesnt want to..he always wanted to use the big potty..so we bought a seat to fit it so he wouldn't fall in..
    JaelynS

Comment by JaelynS (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• to get my son to really potty out of his diaper is i let him pee outside i don't know what kind of housing you have but that helped with my son he got to water the grass and trees but only "big boys" can do that
    acastle2

Answer by acastle2 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Switch him over to big boy pants, don't buy diapers, and make his diet fiber rich. He'll have to go, and will get over the 'only' diaperrs thing since he wont have any to use.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2010