Anybody know much..or anything about cars??

Yesterday my car started acting weird. First the check engine light started blinking. Then.. it started to become much harder to accelerate. I would be going barely 45 when I should have been going 55. It would randomly jerk forward to the speed I should be at && the RPMs would increase rapidly.. but then the speed and RPMs would go back down. When I came to a complete stop at a stop sign I heard a very loud noise like something was banging, maybe??
Not sure what the issue is at all.. it is a 2001 Toyota Camry.. with approx. 215,000 mi on it. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow.. but I'm just curious to what might be happening to my car.. seeing as it may be my only way to work today!

eastcoastmama11

Asked by eastcoastmama11 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Travel

• I will ask my Hubby, he's a great mechanic!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• the transmission? My last car something similar like that happened to and I couldnt go over 25 mph (very embarrasing on the highway!) It was the trans and ahh i can't think of the name of it, but it was like an $800 piece - if i think of it ill reply (sorry). it was on the tip of my tongue as I started writing...
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Sounds like an engine problem. Not accelerating could be the timing belt.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• This is what he said....

go to any parts store and they will read the code for free. sounds like a throttle position sensor to me. Dunno about the banging though....maybe too low idle
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:26 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When your engine light comes on that means that its throwing a code, so thats what he means by taking it to have them read the code at any parts store..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It has to do with your transmission. It could be something as simple as a broken thermostat, which could cause those issues, but not neccisarily if your car isn't over heating. It could also be that you have a loose wire or a broken connection. It is your transmission though and should be checked out immediately.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:29 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Sounds like a cylinder/s misfiring.
    Could be spark plugs/wires, needs valve adjustment, distributer cap and rotor, ect.
    When the engine light flashes it means that it could be doing damage either to the cylinders or the cat. convertor. Try not to drive it.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• candi you just helped out my preggo mommy brain fart!!! it was the catallitic (sp?) convertor!
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If the check engine light is blinking, you're doing damage to the catalytic converter everytime you start/drive it. Or so my mechanic told me, as he reamed me out for not calling him for a tow. (He wasn't being mean, he was a good guy. He was just disappointed that I hadn't called him sooner when I needed help. He treated me like one of his kids almost.)

Don't drive it in this condition. I know work is vital, but if you blow the engine, you'll really be up the creek and watching the paddles float away.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thank you so much ladies!! My MIL is going to take me to work when she comes to pick up my daughter for the afternoon. Then my husband is going to bring my car to his uncles who own his own car shop. Thank goodness :).

Thanks again guys!
    eastcoastmama11

Comment by eastcoastmama11 (original poster) at 12:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2010