If I toss the sandals in the trash during nap, how bad will it be?

Early in the summer we bought cute cork sandals for the three year old- late in the summer we moved into a house with all hardwood floors.

The noise the sandals make on the floors is absolutely incredible. Ridiculously, horribly, loud. So of course, these are the only things she wants to wear, and then she stomps and stomps and stomps.

When I ask her to use gentle feet, she says, Oh sorry, and is good for a minute and a half.
when I ask her to take the sandals off, she has a bloody effing tantrum.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:23 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• do you have a dog?? I know its different, but my sister was trying to wean my nephew from the pacifier, but he threw so many fits, she finally said the dog ate it. he stopped throwing a tantrum and was mad at the dog haha So tell her the dog ate them! or just toss them and ask her where she put them
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:27 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• if you tell her the dog ate them, she could take it out on the dog. Have you make a rule that she can't wear them in the house?
    if she throws a tantrum, why not just let her feel the way she feels and throw the tantrum?
    seems like one way or another she'll learn that it's the new rule.
    the tantrums won't go on forever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Being that I am sneaky about things conveniently 'disappearing' while my kids are not paying attention I can tell you it could be tragic. If you can buy her a new pair of shoes that maybe light up or something to replace them it might not go so bad. Sometimes I have to kinda tag team my babies and get someone they are really fond of to give them the distraction item. For some reason everything is better for someone else. That's how I get away with it =)
    luv2mum

Answer by luv2mum at 11:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Why do you let her wear shoes in the house in the first place? We have decided no matter what type of flooring, or where we live, we will not wear shoes in the house, my children know this (even he 19 month old)....so how about making that a rule instead of throwing them away?
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We don't allow shoes in the house but I'm about to do the same thing with my 10yo's flip-flops.  They are so ratty and gross (after just 1 summer of use).  But every day she comes home from school and takes off her sneakers and puts these things on even when it's 50F outside and raining.  I'm sick of them and they are going in the trash while she's at school today.

I can tell you if I don't take them to the outside trash she WILL dig through our garbage can.  Heck, she might dig them out of the outside can.  She's completely obsessive about her stuff and we go through this every season change or when she outgrows her clothes (she refuses to pass them down to her little sister).  We just bought her new sneakers and I said I was tossing the old ones (that are too small and full of holes) and she freaked out.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I guess it depends on your daughter. I've thrown away some of my son's toys and when he asks about it, I just tell him I'll have to look for it later. That has worked almost every time, and he moves onto something else. We also have a rule that we don't wear shoes in our house unless they're slippers.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• maybe work with her? tell her the loud sound they make is too loud for your ears, but you know she really likes the shoes, so waht can we do about this? maybe you can come up with a plan together, like the sandals being her special shoes for going out, or only for dancing (when the house is noisy anyway) or something?
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:53 PM on Oct. 26, 2010