Does anyone else that is a SAHM catch crazy grief from their MNL because they are a SAHM?

This woman always acts like I am doing something so wrong and have such an easy life. HA! I never worked as hard as I do now! I honestly put a lot of time into cleaning and cooking. Giving that her version of homemade is opening the box or can and warming it up-I don't think she has any idea what it's all about. Just wondering if anyone else gets treated like they are mooching or something.

luv2mum

Asked by luv2mum at 11:36 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• My MIL used to make comments like, "so did you find a job yet?" or "is she still not working" irritating...
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My situation was the opposite...I work...now I'm lucky in that I can telecommute from home full time and have the kids with me...made that choice mostly because we couldn't afford preschool anymore...but when my mom was still alive and I was still going to the office a few days a week she'd look at me with big sad eyes saying she wished I didn't have to work, like it was some prison sentence I had or something. That being said, I am a SAHM AND a working mom at the same time, I know how hard it is!! All that I have to do being home is absolutely a full time job, but for me, on top of that I have an employer to also answer too every day, I'm exhausted! lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• FIL is always asking my husband "so when is Keisha going back to work?" and I know it's motivated by what MIL says too.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• MIL ? No, she was also a SAHM. We got along really well. When I went back to work,she was also supportive. It is easy to get along if you are always a cheerful and accomodating DIL.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• What's an MNL?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No my parents are the opposite, they would crucify me if I decided to work...I WANT to work, but i would catch grif from them if i did...my mother in law (is that who your talking about?) she acts like i have no life and wont even talk to me when we go to see her...so i guess im just getting the silent treatment of what you are getting. frustrating!!! Just do what makes you happy and dont worry about others. or her. as long as your immediate family is happy then that is all that matters.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Sorry MIL- got distracted while typing=)
    luv2mum

Comment by luv2mum (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Me.

Nope..I have never been given grief by anyone in my life or in real life for my choice to be a SAHM.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:42 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• kerp-- you are lucky sounds like you got a good MIL. I've done cheerful and accommodating with my MIL until my DH even got tired of it. He says just to give up because that woman doesn't understand.

anika--Mine expects me to always be on call and to her there's no reason I could ever have to be busy because I don't do anything. Sooo frustrating!!!
    luv2mum

Comment by luv2mum (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I wish they would support me working. My parents do but everybody else seems to think that I don't love my kids enough to stay home with them. I have to work for our family to eat, I don't have time to play with my kids everyday, and they are lucky to get something warm for dinner. It is usually cereal or oodles of noodles. Everybody looks down on me because I am never home and when I am home I am doing my homework (I work full time and go to school full time). My house is always disgusting (IMO) and I never cook anything that can't be cooked in the microwave or just thrown in the oven.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2010