Help! I have spent the past two night up all night because I am having to suction my 1 months nose. He spits up after he eats although I burp him. Maybe I am lying him down too soon, but I keep dozing off holding him and I don't want to drop him or anything so I have to put him down. What should I do, should I change his formula to keep him from spitting up or is it time to call the doc?

courtcaton

Asked by courtcaton at 11:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My husband and I both have spent many nights over the years sleepingreclined slightly with a sick baby on our chest. It isn't ideal but it beats the heck out of being up every20 minutes. Are you just suctioning or are yuou using saline nose drops too? The saline will help loose and thin secretions making them easier to suction. At a month..there isn't much else you can do if they aren't runing a fever.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:46 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I had the same exact problem with my 2nd daughter!! When you lie him down, make sure he is sitting upright, it will help reduce, if not totally get rid of, the spitting up and/or acid reflux. (I would talk to his PED. first) You can try switching to a more "softer" formula. They put my daughter on SOY formula,...I can tell you, i see a MAJOR difference. Also, make sure you're not over feeding the little man.

Best of wishes
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would ask the doctor about it.. My son didn't spit up much but he had reflux {only knew because of early xrays that were done for other reasons}. And after we got his formula changed, it helped SOOO much.. and I don't think that laying the baby down too soon would make him spit up... Either too much formula, or his tummy doesn't like the formula.. But I wouldn't change formulas without talking to the doctor first.
    Beanna4406

Answer by Beanna4406 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• yes laying a baby down too soon will make him spit up. you should alway keep them sitting up for atleast 20 mins after each feeding...longer if possible.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, I use saline and suction his nose. The head of his bed is propped up and he'll eat 2-4oz per feeding. I guess it's time to call his doc.
    courtcaton

Comment by courtcaton (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• CALL THE DR!!!!
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• The spitting up happened with my babies the doctor said to first try putting blankets under one end of the mattress to elevate one end a little to keep them in a slight upward position and if that doesn't work also try putting the littlest bit (1/2 tsp or less) of rice cereal in the bottle it helps keep it down. The nose... try a humidifier, you can even get vicks vaporub solution for it at the drugstore. propping up the mattress though will also help with the runny nose
    momoftwins0987

Answer by momoftwins0987 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Call the doctor it's either an allergy or a cold.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 4:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son is almost 3months old he was doing the same thing I changed his formula to Enfamil Gentlease and it seemed to slow up the spit up (not as much) and it seemed to settle on his belly better! Good Luck and also Saline nose drops helped a lot
    BabyKendall0806

Answer by BabyKendall0806 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The doc said to switch to Gentlease...works like a charm. He still spits up, as do most babies, but not as much. Unfortunately the little guy has a cold :(
    courtcaton

Comment by courtcaton (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2010