Am I asking too much when I ask my husband to put socks together.... adult content

Okay, we both work. But my husband pays the bills. I buy the food and the things we need around the house, and things we need for the kids.. Although, he does help with things around the house or things for the kids every now and then.. But I do all the cleaning, laundry and cooking.. I dont put the socks together anymore, I just toss them all in the hamper and let everyone put their own together as they need them. My husband just started complaining because he thinks I should put them all together, and I said, well I wash all of the clothes, if you want them put together then feel free to put them together. And he says its my job to do so because he pays all the bills.. Is it really that much to ask of him, to put his own socks together? Or should I just do it even though I absolutely hate it...?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• You're definitely not asking too much. My mom and dad have a VERY similar situation.. My mom paid for groceries, kids clothes, etc. while my dad handled alll of the household bills. My dad did outside work, my mom did inside. BUT my dad did ALL of his own laundry.. we ALL did. My mom didn't need to do all of our clothes, she worked just as much as my dad did.

I would tell him that he is lucky you're washing them. And from now on he can do it himself.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No hun, you are not asking for much, he seems to be a macho man of sorts....

Answer by older at 11:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• do you work? I hate doing the dishes but I do them anyways, we sometimes have to do stuff we don't want to and if it will spare an argument and tension than just do it, or if u don't want to fold them just take all his socks and put them in his drawers as well with the kids! Just think mating socks really isn't that big of a deal, we all have bigger problems in life! whenever i don't feel like doing something i think about all my SO does and since I don't work it wouldn't kill me to do it!
    patsymay84

Answer by patsymay84 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thats messed up. My husband and I both work and our money goes together into our checking account. We have no idea who pays for what. We make about the same amount. He doesn't do anything around the house but he doesn't have the nerve to complain to me about anything. If there is trash, dishes, laundry all around the house he won't say a word. In fact, he still has clean laundry wadded up in a basket from two weeks ago. Lazy man.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• my hubby was like that until i cracked the sh%$s at him. I dont do alot of cleaning but i put the washing on, do the shopping, clean the dishes and cook the food. I 'm stay at home mum and a full time student.. he doesn't expect the house clean but he hopes that he gets a feed when he is at home. I dont mind cooking but I would like it if he washed the dishes.. I cant be bothered asking him to do it anymore.. but in your situation he needs to grow up. you work too! just cos he pays the bills doesn't giv him a right to tell you to bloody sort some socks.. how bloody hard is it really?.
    If your doing everything else bar the socks then I think you have a right to be annoyed.. why dont you talk to him when your calm and say you can take turns. ? you do them mon -wed he does them thus - sat. and sunday whoever does it when its there. this is something so small and he needs to know to pull his weight too.
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If the two of you are bringing in a paycheck then he should do more. But asking to put his socks together is not asking for much especially since their are his socks.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't always put together socks either but 90 percent of the time I am the one to find everyone their socks. I stay at home so I don't mind it so much but when I get done with college everyone is going to share responsibility. I would tell him be lucky I even do your laundry. Finding your own socks won't kill you. You work and pay for other things in the house. Tell him so I pay for the food does that mean you have to cook. I'd trade sorting socks over cooking most days.
    momofangels5

Answer by momofangels5 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It sounds like you are being passive-aggressive with this behavior. Why did you decide that the socks of all things would be what you were no longer doing? Are you still folding everything else?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well if you are in charge of the laundry then IMO you should be doing it. Just keeping them in the hamper is just being lazy
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I do fold everything else. I just never liked putting socks together, and told him one day I was going to just put them in the hamper, that way everyone could put their own socks together, because him nor the kids want to have to put them all together.. ?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010