How can i get my 2 year old to eat?

My two year old refuses to eat dinner...He does pretty good throughout the day but when it comes to dinner, no fail he starts throwing a fit and refusing to eat. Any ideas?

2kidsandtired

Asked by 2kidsandtired at 11:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't make him. Have him sit up at the table with you during dinner and get down when the family is done. If he isn't hungry, don't force it. Allow him ONLY water to drink, no milk or juice (very possibly the reason he isn' eating?). He could be going through a phase. Forcing your child to eat can cause a significant amount of damage in the long run (studies show it can cause eating disorders)..
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would cut down on snacks before dinner. Tell him "This is Dinner" no more snacks tonight. It worked with my daughter after the second try. Now she has a much healthier diet.
    AvilaAngie

Answer by AvilaAngie at 11:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I had to move my kids snacks so that they do not get ANYTHING after 2:30 except water. If I let them have a snack even at 3 they are not hungry at dinner and it gets all frustrating. =)
    luv2mum

Answer by luv2mum at 11:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If he isn't hungry dont make him eat, my 5 year old is still very hit or miss when it comes to eating at meal times and she is healthy. She lets you know when she is hungry and eats then its always been that way. Our whole family is more about eating when we are hungry than by the clock anyways but I will make something for my 9 yr old and my 5 yr old may not want to eat then but will a half hour or hour later
    DianeMary

Answer by DianeMary at 12:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Try tricking he into thinking it is a snack or special treat and not "dinner" and make sure you give him what he likes.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 1:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Cut back on snacks between lunch and dinner. Put out a big enough variety of food so that there is definitely at least one thing he likes. Keep encouraging him to try new foods. Completely eliminate any snacks after dinner.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 1:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We go through this sometimes as well...just make all of his other meals count...we just started making my DS "shakes" which he LOVES. I do 1/2c plain yogurt, 1/2 c his favorite flavored yogurt (my Ds's is strawberry) and a cup of fresh or frozen fruits. I throw it all in the blender and blend it up...if it is too thick I add a little milk (don't add juice it just adds more uness sugar before bedtime)...He LOVES his milk and liquids so this satisfies him and he is getting his calcium, pribiotics and a 2 servings of fruit.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• all 2 yr. olds go through this....if you are worried about him eating at dinner time with the family ,make something he likes....and for sure cut down on the milk...milk to children IS a meal...it is wat they have used for a meal for quite sometime..so therefore it would be natural in thinking that he is full.... the act of showing children that dinner with the family is a good thing is soooooo taken lightly in america these days...dont give up on it bc when they are teenagers if you have made this a rule that is where you will get to know them...keep it up mom your doing great....and he won't waste away if it doesnt eat at dinner.lol..trust me when he gets hungry he WILL eat...
    lechnermomof4

Answer by lechnermomof4 at 3:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Get the shakes or have him eat small snacks throughout the day instead of huge meals. I love cereal as it's portable and they can snack on it all day if need be. He'll eat when he's hungry- 2 of my kids went through this finicky phase. Good luck and just stick to what he loves to eat and if all else fails find a toddler/baby food he still will at least get nutrition from.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't give snacks - if Julita's hungry, she'll eat at mealtime. If she chooses not to eat, she waits until the next mealtime.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 3:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2010