Cousin's 2 week old having surgery today. Has anyone heard of this?

He was 7lbs. and 14 oz. at birth. He was 2 weeks old Friday. She tried to breast feed and they said her milk didn't come in and the baby was literally starving to death. Last Monday the Dr. put him on soy formula to try to get him to gain weight. He has been throwing (not spitting) it up. He was at the Dr. Thursday and still hadn't gained any weight. Actually still losing weight. Dr. said to call if he threw up again. Yeasterday he violently threw up and she called. Dr. met them at ER and I'm not sure what was done at the hospital, but they rushed him 2.5 hours away to a larger hospital by ambulance. He had lost another whole pound. He hasn't gained anything since birth. They are going to operate on him today.
I haven't heard anything today other than they haven't done the surgery yet. I have no idea what they will operate for or on.

Anyone know what may be wrong? Has anyone seen this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Health

• I'm not sure, but I wish them the best of luck and prayers. That's so sad. :(
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:58 AM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, when my middle son was born he had a hard time with the formula, our doctor was out of town, and the stand in doctor said that our baby's stomach valve might not be fully developed. Luckily he was just allergic to dairy formula, and we were able to switch him to soy.

This might be the problem, of course that's just from my experience.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• He probably either has a blockage in his intestinal tract or something else wrong with his GI system. They need to operate to open it up so that he can eat.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes. Chances are the top muscle in his stomach is too tight which doesn't let anything pass into his stomach properly. It is most common in first born males. They checked my son for this when he was first born because of his weight loss and vomit issues.

Or they may be checking for an intestinal blockage that needs to be surgically removed.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• DH's cousin's baby had something like that - he was a little bit older though before they figured out his esophagus wasn't completely attatched to his stomach or something weird like that - or maybe that his stomach wasn't totally attatched to his colon? Something wasn't attatched though! He had surgery and is doing absolutely fabulous now - he's over a year old, gaining weight like he should, eating anything & everything he can get his hands on, doing everything just right.
    Anonymous