Husband confronts protesting prolifers. thoughts?

We're used to seeing videos of anti-abortion activists spewing venom in front of women's clinics, but rarely do we get to see the tables turned. Thanks to Aaron Gouveia, now we do.

He and his 16-weeks-pregnant wife went to a women's clinic in Brookline, Mass. for an abortion after discovering that their baby had a congenital deformity with no chance for survival. On their way in, they were confronted by images of dismembered fetuses and two women yelling, "You're killing your unborn baby!" Enraged, Gouveia decided to confront the protesters while his wife was in surgery, and he caught the whole interaction on his cellphone. In an essay for The Good Men Project, he admits to feeling a bit "foolish for getting so heated" in the moment, but who can blame him? Not to mention, any foolishness on his part is overshadowed by the Christian protesters' decidedly un-Christ-like behavior.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• wow---they did display un-Christian-like behavior.
    It must have been difficult for that couple to decide...but obviously necessary to decide to abort their baby and thePro-lifers had no clue, no reason to judge them at all ...particularly since they had no information about it. And it is none of their business anyway,in any case.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Why were they having this done at an abortion clinic? This type of thing is usually handled in a hospital. Their doctor did them a great disservice by sending them there imo.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• When there is no chance for survival thats a VERY hard decision to have to make. Its hard enough without people yelling at you and calling you a murder!!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I applaud this dad who had the guts to sock it to them!

Answer by older at 12:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Just goes to show you, people shouldn't be so quick to judge;)
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• People like can be so cruel. Having to be there is already hard and scary enough without people like that. Good for him.
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 12:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It has been MY experience these types of procedures are done in HOSPITALS NOT abortion clinics. My sister experienced a similar situation and hers was done in a hospital where she received counseling afterwards. I had a co-worker go through it...hers was also done in a hospital.

I don't believe "not all hospitals do them"...that's a load of crap. Hospitals routinely do D & C's which is what this is...unless it is too close to term and has to be done as an actual delivery.

Any doctor referring his/her patient to an abortion clinic for this type of procedure is an IDIOT and does his patient a disservice by handling it as an ABORTION. The term abortion can carry a lot of guilt and it is just wrong for this type of procedure to be filled with that kind of guilt.

If the voter downer wants to continue to vote me down for feeling really bad for these parents then have at it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I've seen this.It's gut wrenching to think about.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• "Why were they having this done at an abortion clinic? This type of thing is usually handled in a hospital. Their doctor did them a great disservice by sending them there imo"

No. the Dr. did them a favor. Many abortions clinics work with hospitals for this exact reason. Not only is it a lot cheaper to go to an abortion clinic (where they have surgeons) but it is a lot faster. She would be waiting a lot longer if she tried to get the procedure done in a hospital. MOST hospitals reccomend an affiliated abortion clinic.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• What I think, grly, is that the protesters have no idea who they're confronting, who they're hurting or what brings the women to the clinic. They have no idea what the circumstances are. They just hold up their signs, scream and shout at people, and don't consider for a second that it might be a heart-wrenching decision for the people involved. For that matter, they don't know if a woman is going for a pap smear, or to get information on birth control. They have no idea who they're yelling at. I think it's pathetic what they do. That doesn't mean that I don't think they have the right. I just think it's pathetic that this is how those judgemental people choose to spend their time. That's how they choose to use their freedom of speech, though, and I've just exercised mine.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010