How much are we giving to Hamid Karzai ?

KABUL, Afghanistan – Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Monday that once or twice a year, Iran gives his office $700,000 to $975,000 for official presidential expenses and that Washington also provides "bags of money" because his office lacks funds.

Karzai's comments come a day after The New York Times reported that Iran was giving bags of cash to the president's chief of staff, Umar Daudzai, to buy his loyalty and promote Iranian interests in Afghanistan.

The Times quoted unnamed sources as saying the cash amounted to a slush fund that Karzai and Daudzai had used to pay Afghan lawmakers, tribal elders — and even Taliban commanders — to secure their loyalty.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What a mess. In so many of these situations. Our government makes choices, and makes deals that cause us more problems in the long run than solutions. This is just yet another one to add to the books

Yup...too bad some are concerned with faux issues like the President's vacation...

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) 7 hours
    ------------------------------
    A distraction...a strategic one. Who cares about the vacations? Only people with small minds and petty resentments.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Anything is to much. I just heard this weekend that Iran is giving them money also. This is what bothers me so much. What are we going to accomplish over there with the Taliban and Iran getting and giving money which are really just favors. It's bribe money and we know it. I just hate to think we will have lost so many men and women for nothing.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Karzai is sleazy. I don't know why we are dealing with, or supported him at all.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 12:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We give Karzai far too much aid (monetary/military) and support.

He is a puppet President.. Our government knows that but they keep him propped up because, well let's face it, our government put him in power. And there's a false sense of having a foothold in the region. Our government knows that he plays all sides of the field, that he takes money from anyone and everyone, his cabinet is full of sleazy corrupt cronies and the people of Afghanistan know all of this and know that our government STILL supports him. I foresee nothing good coming out of Karzai remaining in power.

What a mess. In so many of these situations. Our government makes choices, and makes deals that cause us more problems in the long run than solutions. This is just yet another one to add to the books.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Not that I think it's ok, but I have to wonder how much of this goes on all the time that we just have no idea about? I doubt this is the only country (ally or not) that we are giving money to.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yup...too bad some are concerned with faux issues like the President's vacation...

***

Only on slow news days!! Besides that, MANY of us have posted time and time again about the Obama Administration and Democrats "sleaziness" factor, only to be told we're "haters, fear mongers, and racists!" "Glad" to see that you knew this all along, but had so much fun being obtuse.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Only on slow news days!! Besides that, MANY of us have posted time and time again about the Obama Administration and Democrats "sleaziness" factor, only to be told we're "haters, fear mongers, and racists!" "Glad" to see that you knew this all along, but had so much fun being obtuse.

You were called a racist by who? Can I see the link? What did you say to be called a racist?

Its a shame that you didnt care that Bush propped up this criminal and now we can't leave or stop funding him until we get a better solution (my vote would be PULL OUT ALTOGETHER) ....but I digress....When you want to answer the OP let me know

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• well....many Presidents have been "in bed" with the enemy. In 2001,the Bushes Jr and Sr ,helped all the Bin Laden family members in the USA secretly fly away right after the planes hit the TWin Towers. Read about it....they were buddies with them. We gave aid and funds to AFghanistan in 1990 when the Russians were invading them. We(politicians) are friends with the enemy and yet we invade them for OIL...how sick is that?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010