Is it Okay for Christians to Do Yoga? adult content

Question based on this article

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/whole-life/features/23243-is-it-okay-for-christians-to-do-yoga#disqus_thread

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 1:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• yes of course it is okay!!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes!!!!! I cant believe the things they come up with to do news stories on...I mean really its just rediculous to think doing yoga makes you less christian.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Nope, Gym memberships are off limits too...

Of course Christians can do yoga... Just because an action can be used during spiritual exploration doesn't mean it has to be.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My thoughts......

As someone raised Hindu, who has done yoga her entire life.

I would have to say.

Why not.. I was under the understanding that Christians believe that the body is a a Temple. So why would yoga be an issue.

Yes yoga does stem from another religion (Hinduism) however, yoga is all about taking care of the body (and the mind). keeping the body in tuned, healthy, strong, and grounding/centering the mind.. Keeping the mind and body in tune and working together. Yes Yoga is believed to help one connect to "The Divine" or connect to/with "God". However, my understanding (again.. just my understanding) is that Christians like to be connected to/with God as well.

So I would think that doing yoga would be a good thing. Not something that would be considered wrong or against Christian beliefs.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, it's fine, unless you are using it to connect to another Deity.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, it's fine.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's so true though, the yoga they practice at the gym is nothing like REAL yoga. Those as just asanas, or postures. Real yoga also involves meditation. Of course it's OK for Christians to do yoga.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't see why it would be a problem as long as they were using it for exercise and relaxation and not for worshipping.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well, considering that modern "Yoga" has only a brief relationship with the original Hindu Yoga ideals of Mind, Body, Spirit united.
    Modern "Yoga" is just movement and breathing.
    So, yes, we Christians (and Non-Christians also) can do yoga.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010