Have you ever slapped your child in the face because you were so angry?

I lost my temper tonight while my 4.5 year old was throwing a fit I slapped her in the face for waking up the baby with her screams. I apoligized right away but I feel like the worst Mom on the planet. Am I a child abuser?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• The fact that you feel so bad about it means that you are willing to find better ways to deal with your frustration, so not you are not a child abuser. I think most parents with a child over 2 years old have slapped them at least once, its just a matter of if they admit it or not. If your dd wont go to her room during a tantrum, you walk away and cool off at 4.5 she is old enough to understand if you tell her "mommy can't deal with you if you are screaming, I will talk to you when you calm down". Then go back and deal first with the now awake baby, giving the one not throwing the fit the attention first means that the tantrum is not getting her attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• um, no i would never slap my child. next time just send her to her room until you calm down, then you can think of a punishment for her while you're calmed down.
    Anonymous

• You can't ever let it happen again.
    Anonymous

• You are not the worst mom ever. I have slapped my son twice in the mouth for the whole "whatever, I don't care" issue. Is it right, no. The best bet is to send her to her room or take away a priviledge. Don't beat yourself up about it...just work on it...she won't remember it tomorrow.
    Anonymous

• dont let anyone make you feel bad mom its ok she will live just learn from it hell I cant lie if my son or daughter ( older that is 15/16 ) gets smart with me they might be picking up their teeth when Im done
    Anonymous

• Um, she could very well remember it tomorrow. I'm not saying that you are a horrible parent. But my mother hit me when I was 5 years old, and it is the earliest memory I have. She also continued on that pattern until I moved out. You need to find a way to release your frustration. Like said above, send her to her room until you calm down. Or find a way to communicate with her. When I get frustrated with my daughter, I get down on my knees, hold her hands, look her in the eyes and explain to her why mommy is frustrated. She is only 15 months old, but she seems to understand enough to know that what she is doing is wrong. She will respect you more if she can see that mommy is in control of herself, and that in turn will help her listen to you better.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I have slapped my child before. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't haul off and crack him one, but there are times when his emotions, temper, language get out of control. I am very aware of slapping him (not ever hard enough to leave a mark) and don't do it in anger but more or less to snap him out of his tantrum. Afterward, we talk about it and it lets him know that his behavior goes way beyond acceptable and it at least distracts him long enough that we can carry on a decent conversation.
    Anonymous

• it happens.. but u need to control urself better. its NEVER ok to hit a child let alone a 4yr old in the face. maybe u should find a better way to deal with stress!!!
    Anonymous

• I know that stress! You get the baby to sleep and you think you're going to FINALLY get that long needed break to either catch lunch or a quiet trip to the potty. I think the best thing that works is the "Count to 10" rule. I try to count to 10, take deep breaths and just relax. I've popped my DS in the mouth when he was saying really rude and hurtful things. I should have walked away, but didn't. Don't put yourself down, just get yourself out of the situation to cool off. If you feel like this is somthing you might do again you may want to look into anger management.
    Anonymous

• No you are not a bad mother.  Just a stressed mother.  When you get stressed like that.  Send the child to her room or you leave the room quickly.  Go some where you can't hear the child so you can calm down by counting and breathing.  Don't worry about the child crying in your absence.  Just get your self together.  Then discipline your child you see fit to the situation.

Take Care

xxx

SOMETHINGNEWTIME.COM     

maryfay197

Answer by maryfay197 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2008