• In the Spotlight:

my 3 yr old is driving me crazy!!!!

i have a newborn and a 3 yr old. i have little or no patience for the 3yr old anymore. he likes to annoy the piss out of me. when i try to hug him, he head butts me in the face. he refuses to potty train. he only seems to want to cuddle right after an incidnt of bad behavior. i know he is just being his age. my question is if anyone has any advice on how to deal with the negative feelings.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like he could be experiencing some sibling rivalry over the new baby. Try giving him some extra attention, one-on-one time to show that you still love him. He's just trying to get a rise out of you. At that age, any attention is good attention, you know? Good luck!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am going thru the same thing sister!!!! Its hard because our hormones are really messed up right now, so I noticed I have less tolerance now than before the baby arrived.
    Anonymous

• Honey, you are going to have to PM me for advice, this box just isn't big enough!!
    I will say that 3 year olds are very much like that in that they are trying out their new found independence and will push EVERY STINKING BUTTON YOU GOT!!! And, if you don't have a button for them to push, they will sneak into your room at night while you are sleeping and install one without you knowing so that they can push it first thing in the morning!!! All I can say is SET LIMITS EARLY AND STICK TO THEM WITHOUT FAIL!! Routine, routine, routine. Also, consequences!!!They need to know what they are doing! Did, he head butt you? CRY...LIKE A BABY. Let him know it hurts. He will benefit from knowing that his actions have consequences!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 10:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• This is only the beginning! 3 yr olds prepare us for those teen years! only difference is height! I'm not kidding either...before you know it..you will understand! lol!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• sounds like he needs some time with just mommy... older kids will get like this and you just need to be sure to reward the good behavior with time alone with either mom or dad
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 12:16 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• He may just be a little jealous. I have a 3 year old, and it's like I'm talking to an adorable ROCK, because he's bad a s hell and he DOES not listen. However, my son goes to daycare, and his teachers always tells me what a little gentleman he is in school. When he gets home, he's Satan. But I just deal with it . He's still little and he's still learning. When your son head butts you, look him straight in his eyes and talk to him. Tell him that he cannot do that to Mommy and it's not nice. Do it in a stern voice, but don't scream. You don't want him to be afraid of you.
    JLsMommy29

Answer by JLsMommy29 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Here I was thinking I was the only one having problems! My DD just turned 3 and she can go from Angel to Hellion and back again in 3 seconds flat. It's good to know that there are other moms out there feeling my pain and it's not just because my DD is a heathen! :) Thanks for this post...it makes me feel better!
    Roo_S

Answer by Roo_S at 10:18 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• OMG.....my son is nuts!!! He will be waving bye-bye to the stars so sweet and innocent and then have a meltdown if you take his hand to go inside. Scream bloody murder like you are pulling off their arms. Geez....its torture for me having to deal with this back and forth screaming and pulling him up off the ground every 5 min. He used to be sooooo amazingly good but now he is hell on wheels!! When do they grow out of this stage?
    mamma2bubba

Answer by mamma2bubba at 3:39 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• OH man where are you that you have to pull him off the ground Mamma2bubba? I had to do this with my son who is 4, tell him good bye, start walking. Gaurenteed that he will get his little butt off the ground in a hurry. He doesn't want you to leave him! I tell you what I learned ( I have a two month old) When baby is sleeping that's me and ODS time, when Daddy gets home that's him and daddy time, and the baby (as bad as it sounds) is second. Daddy can see him when ODS goes to bed. I nurse on demand, so ODS understands that is MY special time with YDS.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• We also (as Hokey as it sounds) made ODS "PROTECTOR" of YDS. Explained to him that he is a big brother now and that comes with responsibility, blah blah blah, give him a specific job. My ODS makes sure no one is in YDS's face (cold season is comming up!) When we are in the car, ODS job is to make sure that the sun isn't in YDS eyes, and if he is crying and I am busy doing something (the dishes), ODS can talk to him and try to get him calmed down so I can get my hands dried off and then take care of him. ODS likes throwing dirty diapers away....get creative mom!!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 4:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2008