MIL says I shouldnt let my son run without a diaper while @ home..? adult content

Hes 2 years old, Im currently trying to potty train him. Hes my only child, Im a sahm mom, his father works full time. He goes on the potty sometimes, but sometimes he asks for a diaper ( if he has to go number 2, he wont do that on the potty yet) .. He rarely ever goes pee, etc on the floor. And he is really getting the hang of the potty. I put underwear on him but he usually takes them off, and runs with just a t-shirt or just in his birthday suit. My MIL came over yesterday and I put clothes on him when she came in, as I do if anyone comes over. But she said I shouldnt let him run naked like that. I was just wondering if its really a big deal? Should I force him to keep his underwear or diaper on, even though he rips them off most of the time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is nothing wrong with your child running around in the nude in his own house. Yes as you do already I would put clothes on when people come over.. but let him run wild and free. I hear its a really good way to potty train, because most kids dont like the wet feeling on their legs when they pee. I do not understand why your mother in law is so offended, but hun, its your house, do what you wanna do!
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 7:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have heard it is a great technique to try when potty training. Do what you want in the privacy of your own home.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Oh boy! lol Your MIL would have a hard time at my house. I have three boys and the younger two run naked often.- They're 3.5 and 5 years. Personally, I don't see a problem with it.. Especially not since he's potty training. If it were me, I'd tell MIL to mind her own. My house, my rules. It's not like you don't dress the boyo when folks come over!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 1:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My daughter runs around naked all the time. Nothing wrong with what you're doing.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• At that I all mine loved running around naked. My oldest wouldn't keep clothes on at home until he was 3. Not a big deal.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Your house, your child - who cares??!! She should mind her own business!! It's not like you didn't cover him up when she came. He's your only child - not like he's 10 and running around while a sister is there too...sheesh! I let my son without undies was when I was potty training - and it worked!! She should pat you on the back not tell you not to do it. I guess I am confused why she should even care. My mil would laugh :) lol
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• For crying out loud, your MIL seriously needs to get a life if thats all she can find to say lol. I personally always try to time the potty training for summer purely so the child in question can run around with nothing on (saves on the washing lol). As others have already said, its your house and your rules and more to the point your child. The MIL needs to realise that people have their own way of getting the children through this stage of development.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 1:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would keep him dressed. I dont think there is anything wrong with what you are doing I just would prefer to keep my son coverd up.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Your house, your kid, you do as you please. He's 2!!! Not 12! A great age for nakedness. Plus when potty training, it's a plus. I know when I potty trained my oldest I let her go diaper-less and she did NOT like peeing on herself. The way I see it, other people are always going to put their nose in your business, especially MIL's. You just gotta pretend you're listening to them, and do things the way you want.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting him run around naked. Some kids prefer to be naked and that's perfectly fine. It helps with potty training as well, so if he prefers that then that's great!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2010