How can I find out about getting a car seat?

My son needs a new car seat, he is in an infant carrier but is almost at the wieght limit. I cant work right now and his father walked out and will not help with anything. I live with my parents and they r already supporting him but can not afford a car seat. We have tried Walmart, and they only have the 40 dollar one in pink and my baby is a boy! I live in a really small town and they only do car seat checks two times a year, during the last one he was just born, so i didnt need a car seat then; as i was giving 3 by a trustable friend. Any help would be great.

nikkik526

Asked by nikkik526 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Shopping

• Contact your local fire department and hospitals to ask if they know of any programs.

If not, you could always order the car seat in a different color off of Walmart.com and have it shipped to your local store for free. Good luck.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• try craigslist.org there is always tons of baby stuff on there. Other than that maybe a yardsale. Either way make sure you check the date on them
    luv2mum

Answer by luv2mum at 1:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You can order one online, if you want to. WalMart and Target both sell them online, and you can look at other websites and compare shipping costs and so forth.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Go on Craigslist and ask if anyone has one they are done with. You may get one for free. Or check Mom 2 Mom and yard sales. But check the expiration date. I don't understand the issue that well as they say plastic lasts in a landfill forever but apparently plastic doesn't last forever outside of one. There are probably guidelines on line you can look up.

You could also call you local family services and see if they are aware of any programs that help mothers get carseats. There may be something out there that can help you.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 1:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I know about ordering it online, but i litterly have a dollar to my name, and my mom and dad dont get paid for another two weeks. My brother-inlaw belongs to the fire department and he dose not think they give any out, only at the car seat checks and that will prolly be in december; my baby has 1 pound till he has out grew his infant carrier.
    nikkik526

Comment by nikkik526 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Call the fire department and your local health department. A lot of health departments offer free carseats that go higher in weight than an infant carrier for free. You might also be able to get help from a local church or something like that.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• freecycle,Salvation Army,Goodwill. Call the stores and ask about donations

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Avoid Craigslist. You do not want to use a car seat you don't know the history of (can't dry the car seat cover, can't submerge straps in water, need to have an owners manual, and accident free history are ALL important things to know).
    I agree that your best bet would be to call your local health department immediately.
    MOST children outgrow their infant seats by height before weight. Your child needs at least 1" of hard shell above his head in order to still "fit" in his seat. I know that target carries the scenera as well. The Store in dickson has one that isn't girly for $50. Kmart on route 940 also has one in for about $50. Walmart.com has one you can order, but I don't think you have time to wait for one. Let me know if you have any other questions. But you have to get a new seat for your baby. His safety is at risk if you don't. And I know you are doing everything you can to protect him
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 2:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Truthfully I would keep my child in the infant carrier even if he is slightly over the weight limit if the next car seat check is in December versus getting one from a stranger off craigslist or something. You definitely do not want a car seat that you do not know the history of. I would suggest calling some of the women's shelters around and see if they can help out with a new one. And truthfully I would rather put my son in a pink car seat then have him not be safe. It's not like the infant carrier where others will really be seeing him in it any way. It will be in the car and if/when you can afford it you can buy a different cover for it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Can you go to a fire department in a bigger town, I know here in NC they give them out all year long as long as they can have your old one. Also chek with DSS they normally know a pregancy group that can help or even give you the 40 for a new one, and check with local churches. i hope you find one
    donamunns

Answer by donamunns at 4:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010