Regional Center coming to my house today!!! Nervious!!

Have you had them come to your house? Could you help me calm down? I feel like CPS is coming instead of the people who evaluate your child for delays!!! :-/

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Don't be nervous. They are really nice and they're just going to ask you some questions and observe your child a little bit...this won't even be a formal evaluation. They will just want to know some background and medical info and ask what your concerns are. Then they'll ask you some developmental questions about what he can and can't do. No need to feel nervous...although I know it's scary when you think you're child has developmental problems. Just keep in mind, you are getting your child the help he may need. They aren't coming there to judge you.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 1:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Unless yuour home is filthy, infested with bugs or no utilities you have nothing to worry about. They will ask you questions about the pregnancy history for the child in question, medications, illnesses, injuries, complications at birth..stuff like that. Relax, it seems stressful but normally they are terrific people who interact with kids great.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Is your house a mess? If not, you are ok.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Just take care of you and the little one, that is the 'focus. ' Eat normally, or at least throw down something quick to get rid of the jitters. If it were me right now, I'd just de-clutter a bit, and if you can't be as normal as you can. What I mean to say is you are already on their priority for good help. Don't read into it as a negative thing. It will all benefit you to get past the visit, or ...through the visit , ....as this is the time to ""let"" someone else help you to see a good part of life that really does go to your needs for your child. They are great! The paper work is a bit nervy, but they realize it's the process, they've been doing this a long time.
    GOOD LUCK : )
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 1:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I know they aren't coming to judge us...and no my house isn't messy or filthy...we live in a small apartment though and we used to live in a huge apartment so now we dont have room for everything so our house looks cluttered...we just flat out have no room for everything! :(I think I am just feeling nervious because I got a letter in my door last friday from our apartments that they are shutting the water off from 10-2...my apt is at 11!!! I HOPE she doesnt have use the restroom!! YIKES how embarassing to tell her sorry you cant!

And I am very certian my dd has delays, she is 19 months old and only has 5-6 words, doesnt call me momma, or husband dadda...the only words she really has are hi, bye, bird, dog, cat, and spongebob...(my oldest dd has a spongebob stuffed animal.) she ocassionally says mom or dad, but not in reference to trying to get our attention. uhg. Hope our apointment goes well.
    thank you girls! :)
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You will be fine. They are not worried if your apartment is cluttered, they are worried that it is safe and that you can walk around in it safely. As for the water being off, just tell her if she asks for the bathroom , that they are doing maintenance and that the water will be off until 2pm. Not a big deal, and she can always verify it if she is concerned.

Bug hugs! They will come and when they leave you will say to yourself... man I wish I hadn't stressed so much about that it really wasn't worth stressing over..
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2010