Funeral

I didn't know what category to put this in so since I'm wondering what to wear I hope this category is ok? I have never been to a funeral in my life, my husbands grandmother passed away and we're going to go to her funeral, I just had a baby 9 months ago and I don't know what to wear? Do our children go? They're 2 and 9 months or do we leave them with a babysitter? Any help would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Don't bring the kids. Wear something you're comfortable in, and that's not "flashy or trashy." Other than that, I prefer to wear dark colors but you don't have to.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Just wear a dress or dress pants. And yes you can take them or leave with a babysitter, which ever you would feel more comfortable.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Dress nice, preferably in a dark color. I'd probably leave the kids with a sitter if you can since they are so young.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Personally, I would leave them with a baby sitter.

Traditionally, women are supposed to wear dark colored clothes to start with.
    A nice skirt, pair of dress pants and a dressy blouse would do fine.
    If you have a black or darker colored dress, that would be fine too.

If you are close with DH's mom, possibly ask her. I have been to a few funerals where people have requested you NOT wear dark colors because they don't want it to be such a sad day.

Def. Stick with the dressier side of things though.
    PhiLLy-StyLe

Answer by PhiLLy-StyLe at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Wear a conservative dress (doesn't have to be black, but keep it relatively bland). The kids can go if you want to take them, but it might be easier for you to relax and be supportive of your hubby if you have a sitter. DH's grandmother passed when DS was just a month or two old, and we took him. He was fine.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If you have a black skirt or slacks that would work and a black shirt. The shirt I wore was black and white with black pants. Yes the kids can go but if they get loud then take them out right away. It is best to sit in the back so you can run out if you need to. If you can find a sitter then that would be best because they are so young. I am sorry for your loss.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Also watch the shoes if you're going to the graveside since you'll be walking through and standing in the grass. Heels aren't the best for that.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Funerals tend to be culteral. My Grandmother made it clear there better not be anyone in black at her funeral. She wanted it to be a celebration of her life, and the symbol that she was going to be with my Grandpa again. We wore Soft pastels and spring like colors. We are from the south and children learn about funerals from a very early age. my family personally believes it is the chance to say goodbye. A 2 yr old and a 9 month old are not going to remember it. unless there will be family present that haven't seen your kids, I would leave them home. Some families dark somber colors, no jewelry and such is the norm. Can you ask your MIL? She would likely know what will be expected.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Personally, I would leave the children with a sitter just because they are so young. I usually wear black dress pants and a black/white button up dress shirt. Usually people wear dark colors to a funeral. Sorry for your loss. :(
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Don't bring the children. It will be a long day. SO wear something comfortable including shoes and brig a sweater or jacket. Usually there is a repasse where family and close friends eat so jus tmake sure you are well rested and have a reliable babysitter.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010