How do I get my High Schooler to do her homework?

she's so preoccupied in her freshman year.

Liveyourlifeval

Asked by Liveyourlifeval at 1:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• take away privileges

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Take away computer, Facebook, cell phone, going to parties and hanging out with friends until she starts doing her school work on a regular basis.
    She will complain, tell you that you are the worst mom in the world and tell you she hates you, but you need to stand your ground.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Don't let her have internet access, cell phone access, etc. until homework is complete. And if necessary - let her fail a course - this will wake her little behind up.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I make my brother do his as soon as he gets in from school, that way I know its done and then he has the rest of the night to do as he pleases. Regardless of how preoccupied she is, homework is a vital part of her grade and it needs to be done! Just let her know, if it isnt done then some of her priveledges will be taken away, then she will have all the time in the world for homework! GL!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree with pp.....Begininning today, I'm taking my son's cell phone when his grades fall below a B. He can have it back when the grade returns to an acceptable level.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 1:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Set a scheduled time for it and make sure all distractions are turned off. She'll get pissed but she'll appreciate you at grade time not to mention kids need to know we care to set down rules.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• What is she so preoccupied with? Her school work should be the first thing that she does when coming home from school before the phone(texting) facebook, myspace, chilling with her friends. So the way things work with my step-son is he comes in from school gets a snack and he is at the table doing his homework he speaks to no one on the phone, texts no one, no music, NOTHING till his homework is completed and checked over then he has his few chores that have to be done and depending how much time that has he may or may not have time to talk or text before dinner then after dinner he can have time for facebook and off the computer by 8pm and he has to be in the house for the night by 7:30pm and he is in his room in bed by 9pm and TV off by 9:45pm. You can say i run a tight ship but he is 13 and his grades and school is the most important thing till the day he has the high school diploma in his hand.  CONT

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Thank you everyone!....I agree. Taking away the phone today. Computer and tv rights have already been stripped. UGH!!!
    Liveyourlifeval

Comment by Liveyourlifeval (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I am the hard ass in the house and my hubby isn't so much. My Step-son is 13 and he knows the rules sometimes we have to be the bitch. Trust me your DD will thank you in 10 years.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Agreed raemommy!.....LOL!!
    Liveyourlifeval

Comment by Liveyourlifeval (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010