have you ever??

given your LO anything for their cough\congestion? my son is almost 11 months 22 pounds and hes had an awful cough for a week and a half now and its to the point where he cant sleep...his dr is kinda cautious about everything and said he cant have anything and i couldnt take seeing my son look like shit so i went to cvs asked the pharmacist and she recommended dermitapp which i got and she told me to give him less than half which is roughly .5-.6 my son hasnt coughed since but im feeling guilty for some reason have you ever given yours anything?

qsmommy88

Asked by qsmommy88 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thank you in advance
    qsmommy88

Answer by qsmommy88 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• No. I haven't given my daughter anything but Tylenol. She's almost 17 months. My doctor isn't overly cautious at all...but she did tell me that there's nothing on the market that's actually totally safe for kids under 2, except for regular Tylenol or Motrin. I'm sorry your little one is sick. It's so hard as a parent. You want them to feel better but everyone tells you what you can and can't do, and you don't know what to believe. You have to go with your gut and do what you think is best.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• why did the doc say he couldn't have anything? i would have tried tylonal and/or motrin (at that age it's fine)....and then turn the shower on really hot and sit in the bathroom with him for the congestion...or saline drops. You're fine mom, you went with your gut, and normally mother's intuition will let you know what's good and what's bad for your child. mom's normally know they're kids better than their doctors. if it keeps going though, have the doctors check for an ear infection, because those are symptoms for that also. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• oh yeah.. my daughter had a cough so bad i took her to the hospital. she wasnt sleeping or anything THEY WOULDNT GIVE ME ANYTHING. the reason being so many parents ODed their own kids.. so they took everything off the shelf.. so now we suffer bc parents dont pay close enough attention to direction. but dont feel bad i bought toddler/kid meds gave her very very little and she was fine. u made ur baby feel better and that is what u r there for dont feel bad!
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• omg thank you ladies sooo much im checking on him every 5 mins making sure hes breathing lol i tried tylenol and it didnt work vicks and a humidifier and nothing but this is helping atleast i know i didn thurt him!
    qsmommy88

Answer by qsmommy88 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• It's very dangerous to give cold medications to young children because of risk of overdose and many of the cold meds make children so sleepy that they can forget to breath. And it's good for a child to cough to get the crud that is making them sick out of the lungs.
    A pharmacist shouldn't be giving dosages for medications that aren't approved for that age.
    Many moms on here will say they have done the same thing and their child is just fine... but what about the few children who aren't "just fine"? I wouldn't want to risk it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• dosage is based basically on weight of the child my son weighs 22 lbs so thats how we got the dosage...my son coughed all night and not one bit came out so im just supposed to let him cough all night because some parents didnt know how much to give their kids yeah right my sons not suffering for someone elses doing
    qsmommy88

Answer by qsmommy88 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my doctor when my daughter was younger didnt give anything either. He said that it was better not to suppress the cough b/c thats the bodies way of clearing out the lungs and if you suppress it then they wont cough the stuff up. When my daughter was around 6 months she had a bad one and he did say that I could give her 1/2 a tsp of childrens benadryl at night just to help her sleep
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• If you are so confident you did the right thing then why are you feeling "guilty" and checking on him to make sure he is breathing? I think you know that it's unsafe even if it has helped him sleep better.
    Why bother seeking a doctors advice if you don't take it?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Don't feel bad at all! My son is only 8 months old and was sick and couldn't sleep or even eat he was so stuffed up. I have a pharmasist that I really trust so I asked him. They know more about meds anyway. I always know that I can trust my pharm. He's all about natural remedies ironically and they actually work. Anyway, he saw my son when I went to pick up my medicine one day and said that I could try Benadryl and gave the dosage. I was freaked out at first too but he turned out fine. You're not the only one that has done what you did trust me.
    Anonymous