nap time

my ds ( 2 3/4) is generally a great napper but the last 2 days have been unbearable...he has been running around, under his bed, jumping etc...i told him has 2 choices he can go to sleep or read quietly..neither have worked...he has a reward chart with stickers for napping and lately it does not seem to be working...he also needs to nap to earn his TV shows in the PM..also doesn't care..well, until it coes time to watch them and he can't...any other suggesttions aside from letting him watch tv and letting him out...which are 2 things he wants and therefor would be a reward for not naping.

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't make him nap but don't reward him for not napping.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• ok...but is running around ranshaking his room ok?
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Taking away the tv time won't work because toddlers do not have the ability to remember or think ahead like that at this age. I suggest taking the toys away or moving them out of the sleeping area. You want to create a soothing environment that is conducive to sleep. I suggest trying relaxation music, darkness and a back massage.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• thanks Mama...he has NO toys in his room..only books. He has a dim light, black out shades and baby einstein music...so i have that covered...he's just a nut...lol
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I really have no suggestions, because I'm going through the same thing. He doesn't sleep anymore, and tears up his room. I went in the other day and he had taken all of his clothes and blankets out of the drawers, he had the cushion of the glider in his bed, and the ottoman was flipped upside down. He also lays on his bed and kicks the sides, and it's crazy loud. I play relaxing music or nature sounds, we have black out curtains, we read several books before naptime, and I try to stick to a routine around the same time each day, but he just runs around the whole time. They are definitely nuts sometimes. lol I haven't tried the stickers or rewards yet, so maybe I'll see if something like that works for us. Even if he doesn't sleep, just quietly playing or reading for an hour would be awesome.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• oh, Pam, I feel your pain...sometimes I just wonder if I should skip the na and put him down at 6. The issue is he is a TOTAL monster without a nap..the good thing is he is out cold at 6:05..lol
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010