At six months old...

Should she be trying to crawl or screaming when she's given tummy time?

prettypaper

Asked by prettypaper at 2:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Haha, both, or neither, or one of the two. Every baby is different. Mine didn't start crawling till she was almost 10 months!! She also hated tummy time. I could get her on her belly for MAYBE 2 minutes, and if I managed that, I was so lucky!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son REFUSES tummy time and he is 7 months old. He H-A-T-E-S it! He wants to try and sit up (although he hasn't completely mastered it yet... he is getting much better every day). They don't all crawl that early... he isn't. His sisters crawled at 8 months and 9-10 months.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Hmmm. My DD was definitely not crawling at six months. She was still working on sitting up on her own. But she didn't scream at tummy time. It wasn't always her favorite but at six months she was able to be entertained with toys for a while during tummy time. One thing she liked is when the DH and I would put her on a blanket on the bed and then we would each hold two ends of the blanket. One of us would gently lift our side and it would cause her to roll over on the blanket, then the other would lift their side and roll her back. Of course we did it gently and slowly but she thought it was fun.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son is 6 months and loves tummy time, but every baby is different. I started him with tummy time at 1 week old so by 2 months he loved it. He can do the inchworm crawl but he isnt actually crawling yet. He gets up on all fours and rocks for the last month but just cant figure out what to do.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yea my daughter did not start crawling till nine months, alsso hated tummy time. I would not worry about it, she will be crawling before you know it, and then start walking and getting into everything :) My daughter is 20 months now and getting into anything she can get her hands on, and climping on everything!!!!
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 2:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• So maybe not crawling. lol. this is the little girl I baby sit and nothing makes her happy. Putting her on the floor with toys, on her tummy or sitting up. She just wants to be held 24/7. I remember my son was a lot more independent then that. but maybe thats when i'm going off of. lol i don't know.
    prettypaper

Comment by prettypaper (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Dunno, every baby is different. Maybe try putting her down and let her cry it out for a minute or two. Not long so she gets super upset, but you want to try something if she's super clingy. My ds started crawling at 4 months and at 7 months he is cruising and almost standing on his own. I think it is mainly because he is super stubborn already, like his dad.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Just keep trying with the tummy time, she may not get much floor time when she's at home, but eventually she will get used to it. Just start with a couple minutes and increase as she gets used to it. She needs the tummy time to develop her muscles.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• all children crawl at different ages. how long is the child left in tummy time, and has this been routine or just started? my daughter didnt crawl until 8 months, and that was considered normal. and also in tummy time, is the child given anything to play with? sometimes a playmat works.
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 6:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Just keep trying. My son hated tummy time until he was about 3 months and could roll over well. My pedi just told me to keep doing it. To make him do 5 minutes 4x a day. He liked it after 3 months and started army crawling all over at 5 months and reg crawling at 6. But keep in mind the average age for crawling is 9 monyths and some kids do it earlier or later or not at all :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010