Okay, what's everyone's view on the "Christian Roommate" debate?

A single, 31-year-old nursing student living in Grand Rapids posted a sign at her church seeking a Christian roommate. Someone in the church saw the sign and reported the young woman to the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan, which then filed a complaint with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights.

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/civil-religion/general/2010/10/michigan-woman-faces-civil-rights-complaint-for-seeking-a-christian-roommate/

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 2:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It was illegal. What's the debate?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• How is that illegal? She didn't own her apartment! She's not considered a landlady.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Oh good Lord! This is just stupid. Stupid law because I should be able to choose my own type of person for a roommate and stupid of the girl to actually put that. She should have gotten that information when she interviewed perspective roommates...and if they refused to answer, just conveniently come up with another reason why to not accept them.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's without doubt a debate... The ONLY illegal act here was being up front about not wanting a non-Christian room mate. Legally she can deny to live with someone because of their religious beliefs, however, stating in the ad that she only wants Christians is illegal... Sounds a little crazy to me! I would say if that's the criteria she's looking for, it's only fare that she is able to be up front about it. If she was only looking for a woman do you think that would have been seen as discriminatory had she said "Female wanted"?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• So if I wanted a room mate who didn't smoke or have pets I couldn't post that? I think it is her right to say who she wants to room and board with her. As PP said... SHE isn't the landlady.... she is renting FROM the landlady.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't think she did anything wrong....and I think it's taking advantage of a loophole in a law meant to discourage discrimination..... It would be like calling her sexist if she wanted a female roommate.....ridiculous is what comes to mind...

Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• As a non-christian if I had read that I would have said, "Well, I'll look somewhere else." I would have felt no harsh feelings for her because as I said... that would be like being a smoker and seeing "non smoker".... who cares? That's HER right to not want a non-christian room mate.

And OMG at the fact that it was a common church member who reported her... what an ass.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well, I don't have a problem with what she did at all... She's stating her preference in roommates, and she's not the landlord. I mean, isn't that the same as posting for a female roomate only, would that be discrimination against men? If I (as an atheist) was looking for a room, I wouldn't want a super religious roommate anyway, so knowing not to contact her would just save me some time, that's all.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have no problem with the idea of having specific criteria for someone you have to live with. I didn't even know that housing discrimination laws applied to roommate situations.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010