HELP!!

A great friend of mine is a new mother of a 2 month old. She has recently began a babysitting job and she watches a 2 yr old, a 6 month old while she has her son. The 6 month old little girl screams constantly and is eager to be held. How should she address this childs mother on this issue and what should she do next??

trijobaby

Asked by trijobaby at 2:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What's the problem? Babies should be held. If she can't take care of the needs of her own child and those of the ones she is getting paid to watch then she needs to reassess her priorities and maybe not watch small children.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yeah, I agree with ballewal. The baby is 6 months old and needs to be held, there is nothing the mother of that baby can do but take her somewhere else.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• The problem!! she cant hold both babies at the same time. women who have given birth to twins wouldnt even suggest this! before you say that she is not capable of performing a "job" mayber you should reevaluate your answer it little better! lets be positive ladies...this is supposed to be a helpful question seeking a helpful answer :/
    trijobaby

Comment by trijobaby (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'm sorry that trijobaby has misinterpreted my answer, but that is not what I said at all. She needs to be able to take care of the needs of both children (as a mother of twins would too) but in this case she is obviously not.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• How am I not being positive?!! If the baby needs to be held, then the baby needs to be held. Exactly what issue will she be addressing with this mother? What on earth can this mother do to help her out in this situation? She can't "train" the baby to not want to be held and the only other option is not watching her. So I guess I'm a little confused on what answer you are hoping to get here.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• While babies need to be held they also need to learn tiny times of independence isn't bad either. I agree we need to be positive and supportive, thats what this section is for. Not being judgmental. I would tell the mother (and have done so myself- I have my own 2 year old and babysit a 6 month old who screams all the time.) that she is constantly screaming. Find out if they ever let her try tummy time or if she has some kind of special toys that shes taken to. Its not possible to hold a baby every second of every day, especially when their are other children involved. I would also make sure the work overload isn't too much as well though, things are stressful with a new baby.
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 2:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Also! Baby swings and jumperoos are amazing.
    prettypaper

Answer by prettypaper at 2:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I guess this depends on how much time she is spending holding the children. A six month old shouldn't need to be held all day, but at that age they are still babies and need a lot of attention. Can she get down on the floor to interact with the other children while holding the newborn perhaps? Or maybe one of them would enjoy some time in a swing, or a johnny jumper or exersaucer for the 6 month old. A lot of babies at six months want to be held so they can be up and looking around so something to help with that might make her happier. I believe the six month old should still be held for bottle feeding though, and just througout the day for affection and security needs. I think the other posters were just trying to point out that your friend should consider if she can meet both babies' needs. Ask the other mother what the girl's routine is like at home- is she held always or happy doing something else? Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• OK here i am , I am taking care of all 3 children very well thank you, they are all 3 feed clean and have toys to play with I play with them on the floor with toys and the play sets. My son is very happy and content as well as the 2 yr old but this little girl is unhappy 90% of my day unless I am holding her
    I have a 2yr old as well i feel if she is feed and clean I have done my job well. Its not my fault if she is not happy all the time,
    My question was, do you have suggestion on what else I can do for her other than hold her all the time instead of you coming on here and say i "obviously" cant do my job
    BabyKendall0806

Answer by BabyKendall0806 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I am a great mother and i take very good care of each child I do understand the need of a 6 month old I hold her as much as i can, the job load is getting over whelming with her crying when I'm not holding her. this job would be less stress full if she was happy. Her parent hold her every min of every day she is not with me, thats where the problem starts
    BabyKendall0806

Answer by BabyKendall0806 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010