Is it ok if I use ds's antibiotics he has left over for a bladder infection until friday when I can afford to go to the dr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Health

• Why don't you just call the doctor an ask but they will tell you that not to take it cause it's for him not you.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It's not a good idea. It may not be the right antibiotic for your infection. My mom did that when she was on vacation. She actually used antibiotics that had been prescribed for her, but for something else. She ended up with a kidney infection.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• He shouldn't have nay left over from a bladder infection if he followed the directions on the prescription. No, don't take them.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, it is never ok to use someone else's antibiotics for anything. What happens when you do go, will you tell them what you have taken so far? If you don't you could end up worse off than you already are. Sorry, maybe others have a different opinion on this subject but medications are one thing I never mess with.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 2:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• he's 13 and 15 pounds lighter than me it's amoxcicillan don't spell sorry! The dr prescribed him extra for the next time he was sick but I can't afford to go to the dr.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No...not okay. It may be the wrong antibiotic for what you have and the dosage may be completely different.

I'm with ballewal...a little curious as to how he has any "left over." At least in every case that anyone in my family has been prescribed antibiotics, we are told (and it's even on the bottle) to not stop taking until bottle is finished.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, I wouldn't think so. Antiobiotics need to be prescribed at the right dosage and the right antibiotic for the right condition. Otherwise, you kill healthy immunities in your own body, opening yourself up for a secondary infection and may not even treat the first one in the first place.

Also, antibiotics are only good on bacterial infections. On anything viral, they're useless. So unless you're 100% positive you have a bacterial infection, you're taking them for nothing.

As someone who has lifelong hearing loss from over-medication with antibiotics, I strongly advocate patients be informed about antiobiotic use.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Absolutely not. First off, he shouldn't have any left over from his script, you should have given him his entire course of antibiotics. Second, it's probably a completely different dosage than what you need. Third, you don't know what you have and you don't know if you need antibiotics for it, until you see a doctor. I would toss his left over pills, and go see the doc.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Abso-freaking-lutely NOT. It is NEVER okay to take someone else's meds, especially without seeing a doctor and knowing for sure what's wrong with you. You either need to suck up the issue and wait, or suck up the money and go now.
    Anonymous

• it should b ok they will give u that for it anyway im prone to those infections and know firsthand very much what u would b perscribed ..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010