Has any women ever...

I have a teenaged neighbor that I know and help her threw things,well I always let her know I'm here for her since she only lives with her dad.She came to me wanting to know if I knew anything about the planb after pill?I don't know anything about it and she's afraid to tell her dad and wants to know where to get it and if it does work.Is there anyone here who's has used one or knows anything about it.Does she need parental consent?etc...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If she is 17 and older, no consent is needed. But if not, then she needs parental consent. It's basically a really strong version of the regular birth control pill and works just like that, preventing a pregnancy from occurring. IT IS NOT THE SAME THING AS AN ABORTION PILL, just in case a later poster says that it is. If she is old enough to, she can just walk up to the pharmacy with ID and pay about $50 for it, or she can go to Planned Parenthood and get it for about $30.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• ballewal hit it right on the head. I used it once. My doctor wouldnt prescribe me anything until after I was completely healed. (I had complications) The condom broke and my son was only 3 months old and we weren't ready for another baby so we went and bought ii the very next day.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I used it once and didn't have bad side effects, but I know some people who have had nausea and headaches.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• its great that you help her, but if she is underage, andi were in your situation, i would try to encourage her to talk to her dad, even if i had to go with her. because if the tables were turned, and that was my child, i would want to know what was going on. jmo, and i am not trying to bash you at all, it sounds like you are really trying to help.
    kmjsmommy12345

Answer by kmjsmommy12345 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Local health unit can help her make the right decision without parental consent.
    cancerfighter

Answer by cancerfighter at 10:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• you need id must be 18 or have someone else buy it its $50 and must be taken no longer than 72 hours after sex the sooner the better chances it will work it prevents the egg from being fertilized and/or will delay the release of the egg i tried it once condom broke but he didnt "finish" but i didnt want to chance it it worked!
    MichelleBabyBoy

Answer by MichelleBabyBoy at 10:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• The first poster has the right answer here. I'd have her go to Planned Parenthood (where I usually go for my birth control). I hope that she's old enough for her to not have a parent. Can she say that any time she has sex after this it will be with a condom? If she made this promise to her dad, would he not blow up at her?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2010