Do you think taking your child with you...

to apply (not interview) for a job (serving, bartending, cashiering, etc.) hinders your chance of employment?

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 2:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• To go and pick up or fill out an application-- no I don't think it would matter if you brought your child along.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, it will. You also need to dress up to apply.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, it's unprofessional, and they will figure that if you can't find childcare for the interview, you may have trouble with childcare during work hours.

And if you have the attitude that if the job does want you because your child was with you at the interview, you will probably have a very difficult time finding ANY job. Even a job like pre-school teacher generally expects you to come to the interview without your child.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well, as a potential employer, I would be concerned that you have issues in obtaining a babysitter if you have to bring a child along to an interview. This is your opportunity to 'sell' yourself as a dependable person worth hiring. A child can be distracting to an interview as well.

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• It definitely matters. I have personally disqualified someone from employment based on that. And I myself have two children. It's unprofessional regardless of where you apply.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes, even something as simple as picking up an application should be done in a professional manner. This includes dressing appropriately and leaving your children at home.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Absolutely.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• no, I wouldnt think so! If they denied your application just because you had your child with you, it isnt a worthwhile job.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Yes. Don't ever take a child (or anyone else) to apply for a job, it could appear to a potential employer that you don't have reliable child care.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would look at it this way: Bringing my child wouldn't be my first choice, but if it was bring the child or miss out on applying for the job then I would bring the child. If they don't like it you're no worse off than if you didn't apply and didn't get the job but at least you took your chance. If I did need to bring my child I would make some sort of explanation, i.e. that you are rejoining the work force and will have child care before starting a position, or that your sitter was sick today but you were eager for this job opportunity and didn't want to miss out on applying. I would say something so they know you have a plan for child care. And I would not bring a child to an interview, that just makes it too hard on yourself, the interviewer, and the child, but I know that's not what you're talking about here.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010