help with dog

i have 2 75 lb dogs that will be 5 this year. my boy has become obsessive about licking hairoff the floor. its to the pt where i think he has a blockage. i am going to take him to the vet but if we get it fixed how can i prevent him from licking floor?
we just had a baby 9 weeks ago and frankly i think it might be too much to keep the dogs. their obsessive habits are taking over and i need to focus on our baby. any ideas?

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 10:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Pets

• this is just me, but I have always thought big dogs belonged outside. I hate having big dogs in the house. can you keep them outside?

IDK, maybe put cyanne pepper on the floor so when they lick it, it tastes bad.
    Anonymous

• well i live in las vegas and the weather gets blistering hot in summer and bitterly cold in winter. when hs outside he does nothing but obsessivey eat dried leaves!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• LOL silly dog! sorry can't think of any other advice then if you can't put him outside.
    Anonymous

• He sounds like he is bored, can they be walked twice a day maybe? Otherwise try giving him some mayonnaise to help the hair pass through, thats what you do for cats so they pass it and not throw up hair balls, dont know why it wouldnt work for a dog. Give about a couple of table spoons for a dog that size. Try it, maybe that will work.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Spray the floor with a bittering agent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Some dogs think eating the hair is like a protein fix. The hair may have something in it that attracts them . Since you are having a baby soon you may consider this coolest cleaning machine. I have 6 dogs at home and clean, floors daily. There are wonderful floor cleaners that washes and drys the floor, and you use Lysol to clean it with. Look up floor cleaners at sears,or walmart. The floor mate is by hoover and it is light weight and easy to use. Dogs that shed is my curse too, and I found this wonderful helper and it is the greatest cleaning tool ever. Not that I am saying your house is dirty, but dogs shed like crazy sometimes and I use it to make my life easier. Takes only a few minutes to clean a whole room. Now the dogs and I are happy! People ask me all the time how I keep 6 dogs and a clean floor...That's my secret and it i smells good after too. Hope this has helped. Good luck!
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 2:27 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Usually dogs eat wierd things like dried leaves or grass when they lack some nutritions, tell that to your vet hopefully he has better answers:)
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 1, 2008