How do you handle this?

Does anyone have their tween in sports and they start out thinking they are invinsible but find out that they are not as 'hot stuff' as they first think? I have had this 3 yrs now w/soccer and first softball. She then wants to quit, we encourage he to keep going, not quit, she plays but the team loses every game. How do you handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sure. My rule is that they have to finish what they start - regardless of how they are doing. I think it's a good life lesson, as well as teaching them that they aren't always going to win.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If they commit to being on a team they should stay win or loose to fulfill that commitment.

Answer by older at 2:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I agree with the others...I'd make sure that prior to signing up for anything there's a good talk about what the committment is, they can't quit, they have to follow through. If still at the end of the season, or whatever, they don't like it, then they don't sign up for it again for the next time, but they can't quit halfway through.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Win or loose ya you committed so you finish out the season... Sucks to loose been there with my dd's softball team but ya know they all still had a great time with it even tho they were a loosing team...

Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 3:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• no, i dont think that i would let my child quit half way through the season. but i would also try to get her interested again. maybe by offering to help her practice at home, or letting a buddy from the team come over so they can practice together. i would also explain that its about having fun with other kids, not about winning or losing. gl.
    kmjsmommy12345

Answer by kmjsmommy12345 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010