How can I get my baby to take naps?

My baby refuses to nap. I have think I have literally tried everything. She has no problem getting to sleep at night and staying asleep but she refuses to sleep during the day. I've tried rocking her, reading, singing, music, lotion, massage, binky and even a bottle. She will not sleep the only thing that I can do to make her sleep is let her cry in my arms for 30-40 minutes and she'll only sleep for an hour if I'm lucky. Please HELP!

jpo219

Asked by jpo219 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's OK. Not all babies nap. Is your baby sleeping through the night? If so it could be that she's able to because she doesn't take naps. My son stopped taking naps at around 2 and my daughter stopped at around 12 - 15 months...not sure exactly where. Yet some children are napping when they are 4 or 5 years old.

If it's a break you need you could try baby swings, bouncy seats, or other objects that will keep her occupied and entertained. There are many toys that are designed to stimulate a baby's brain.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:02 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I have pretty much the same issue with my 10mth old. The only thing i have found that works it feeding her a warm bottle while i drive her around the block but dont go straight home as soon as she falls asleep drive around for about 10 mins or so to get her good and out then put her in her own bed since that seems to be where she sleeps best
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 9:03 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• it depends how old i gave my kids sleepy time tea ever soo often but not a lot of it but at a year
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• This sounds like my daughter for most of the first year. She would SCREAM at naptime, sleeping for 45 minutes at the most. It will get better. Here's my suggestions:
    Get her into sunlight in the first hour of the morning.
    Have a schedule.
    If she is over 4 months, put her in her crib at naptime and leave her for 1 hour. If she is asleep, leave her until she wakes. If she isn't, go get her with a big happy "OH! I hope you had a good nap!".

It will get better. The naps are important and will be even more important as she hits "toddlerhood". Don't drop them. My little girl is nearly 2 now and ASKS to take her nap, running to her crib and trying to climb in.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• I agree with the answer above- try a super tight schedule. There are literally children can panic when they don't kow what is coming next. My second son was like that, and it can be torture till you figure it out. I fianlly learned, he got up at a certain time, ate and played in his chair, then in 45 minutes, he went to the floor for tummy time, in 45 minutes he went in his swing with music, in 45 minutes he went to his crib with a snuggle, special blanket and stayed there for 45 minutes to an hour if he was sleeping. Then we started all over again and as he got older the times lenghthened. I also had to stimulate him with more vigorous play to wear him out but make sure I had time to calm him before sleeping. He is four now and his body is just like clockwork, much happier on a schedule. Good Luck!
    raawmom

Answer by raawmom at 12:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2008