how can i help motivate my 4yr old

my son is 4 and he feels that if he has to work hard or something takes to long he rther nt do it. for instance i put him in soccer and he wouldnt play at first bc he was scared then he got over it and played one game and after that he decided he didnt want to play anym,ore bc it took to long.

mg25

Asked by mg25 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have no clue!! Hope you find an answer seeing as my 4 yo is the same way!!! uhg!
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Talk to him about how he won't be getting any kinds of rewards (movies, Chuck E Cheese, playdates, or whatever you use) unless he earns it by doing his best at whatever he does. If you give him a consequence that is unpleasant enough (miss out on a party?) it will help him learn what is expected and what will be accepted by you.

Another thing you might try is a reward system. I bought little Blue Ribbon shaped paper cut-outs at the dollar store. Whenever my kids do something unexpected that I'm really pleased with, I surprise them with one. When they earn 10, we make a trip to the store to buy something for them. (Right now they're still young enough that a trip to the dollar store excites and motivates them.)

Good luck!
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 3:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• honestly,i bribed my 4 yr old.Ice cream after the game or a trip to dollar tree if he played and actually participated w/o a fit i figure eventually he will like it.
    Chrystal_A

Answer by Chrystal_A at 10:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010