Does your child have grandparents that....

live nearby and buys too many toys and clothes for your child? Have a designated bedroom for you child at their home? Gets upset if they don't see your child multiple times a week? Independently celebrate all holidays with your child (i.e. take grandchild to the pumpkin patch to buy and carve a pumpkin, make valentine's day cards, easter egg hunts and baskets, etc.) Want to join you for your play dates with friends? Want to attend all music and dance classes? If so, how do you feel about this? Indifferent? Happy? Sad? Angry? ??? Please share. Grandparents, please share your thoughts too. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Many of these, yes and I don't care for it. From a distance it looks like involvement but when you look deeper it can be disturbing or at the very least intrusive. Everything has to be their way or no way. It's hard to deal with.
    Anonymous

• Going to far in my opinion... looking desperate.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 3:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I can't say what I would do, or how I'd feel, if my children had GP's like that because they don't. My family is pretty close and we spend all holidays together, but my mom doesn't ask to go on playdates or anything....and we don't have a relationship with MIL. I can see how it might be overwhelming for the GP's to want to be that involved, but I also think it's kinda sweet.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 3:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My kids would love that to, and so would I. My husbands parents and mine are bothe deceased.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We actually live eight hours away from my parents (my daughter's grandparents) and my husband's parents are both deceased. My parents get upset if we don't go visit them once a month, but they need to realize that it's expensive to travel and we've got other important bills to take care of. $200 a month to go visit them is a lot of money after a short period of time! And they do have a room set aside just for her at their home, but that's only because we used to live their with them. So that's her room that used to be her nursery when she was just an infant. In my opinion, everything you mentioned above is a bit extreme. Grandparents should be involved but not that involved. It sounds like they're overcrowding the parents.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My mom is like that with my son she does it all the time it bothers me sometimes.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My sons grandparents arent really like that.. But, they do get mad if I dont bring him over enough, and then they get annoyed if I bring him too often. They used to complain about wanting to keep him overnight, and that I didnt need anyone else that they would babysit if need be, but now if I ask them to babysit or keep him overnight they get like "Ughh", like they dont want to do it, like its a hassle. So, I try to limit going over there to around 1-2 weekly, any more then that and they start getting attitudes, any less than that and theyre calling me complaining that they want to see their grandson.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 3:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My kids would have love them kind of grand parents. My parent was not alive when they was born. The other grand parents don't see them.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• since my daughter was born every other week she goes with the grandparents i dont mind because once she starts school she will see them less they live in philly the only part that bothers me is certin holidays i feel like im expected to travels o they can see her. i dont mind the break
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010