This is mainly for bigger sized Mommies

Would you get offended by someone calling you 'fluffy'??? I am a very petite girl, that has tried and tried to gain weight without any luck... I once heard a girl refer to herself as fluffy, and I simply loved it... I have a pretty 'fluffy' friend, who was upset because her sister told her she needed to loose weight. She asked if I thought she was fat, and not one to lie my exact answer was, " Fat isn't a word I would use at all... I don't think anyone is fat. Yes, you are fluffier then some, but not to the point that it's revolting or unhealthy. I think you're a very pretty lady, and I wish I had more curves." Now she's mad because I called her fluffy... So what do you think? What word do you use?? Do you think she's being immature??

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 3:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Health

• I think she is being immature! I am "fluffy" and I would have appreciated your honesty! The fact that she is upset has to do with her own self image not from you saying she was "fluffy". You didn't tell her what she wanted to hear and that is what upset her. Try apologizing and telling her you were only trying to help her with her self image not hurt her feelings!
    tisha1030

Answer by tisha1030 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Haha, I think "Fluffy" is cute. I think I'd rather be called that than fat. :)
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think it's a little mean, unless she calls herself fluffy as well.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• yes i would, but that is because ive had people VERY close to me, tell me i was fat and ugly just to be spiteful. so yes my self esteem has droped to zero.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well, she asked it, I don't think fluffy is that bad
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• lol I don't think I'm big enough to be referred to as "fluffy" but even if I were I'm not sure how much I'd like it coming from someone else. I'd probably find a nice name for them as well. I think I would have just said "a bit bigger" instead of fluffier but everything else you said seems fine and non-offensive. Fluffier sounds a little degrading....just because it brings to mind a fluffy teddy bear or something. Not exactly something one who is self-concious about their weight probably wants to compared to (I know that was not your intention).
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Honestly, NO woman likes to be called fat, no matter what word you use to call her that. Yeah, fluffy is cute and all that, but it's still the same as calling somebody Rubenesque/curvy/voluptuous aka fat. No matter how close you are, no matter how much you don't want to hurt her feelings, she obviously struggles with her weight, and all she knows is that you called her fat. Believe me, that's the ONLY part of your response she heard...

It's one of those subjects you just can't win, no matter how you word it. So just avoid it, heh. Not saying it's right, but that's just the way it is.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Well, asking someone if they are fat is a VERY loaded question and puts the other person on the spot. No one should ever ask that question unless they are ready to hear the answer, good or bad. So yes, I think she is being immature. FYI: I think the word "fluffy" is cute.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010