Tick bite

Okay so we found a tick on DS (5 years old) yesterday morning and the doc wants to put him on antibiotics now just in case he may have gotten Lyme disease. The doctor never asked if it was a deer tick or how long it was on. From what I read online Lyme disease is very rare if the tick is removed before 48 hours. We found and removed it Sunday morning and it came from an outdoor Halloween party Saturday evening. We also don't believe the tick had really started to feed at all due to not being engorged at all. I am pretty sure it is an adult male deer tick from all the pictures I have seen online. What would you do? We do not generally believe in giving antibiotics unless absolutely needed. Lyme disease symptoms wouldn't start to show up for about 2 weeks and they are basically the same as the cold/flu and are easily treated if/when they show up generally.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Health

• I would watch for the signs that he has Lyme disease first (most common being a sort of bulls-eye around the bite area and the flu like symptoms which can be mild to VERY severe), I would also request a blood test first- they have them, they are very simple, and can save you a lot of hassle. The blood test can be done at any point. Obviously if Lyme disease did turn up I would want antibiotics; DH has a friend who has to be treated every year for Lyme arthritis because they didn't treat her in time with the antibiotics. But I would want ot know if it was actually there before accepting any treatment; it would be kind of silly to take medicine if it wasn't needed.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:24 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• I would give meds I understand only using when needed but Lyme disease is serious.We have alot of problem with tick in NJ.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 3:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_humandisease_diagnosis.htm
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:26 AM on Oct. 26, 2010