At what age do you allow your children to watch "horror" movies? (IE: Nightmare on Elm St)

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 3:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've been watching horror movies since I was like 8 years old and I'm 21 now, so watching horror movies isn't a big deal to me. My daughter's only 2, so when we're watching a movie she's usually watching it too, but not really paying attention to it. I feel that if you think your child is old enough to understand that none of that is real, that it's just a movie and as long as there isn't sex or a lot of nudity going on in the film, then it's whatever age you feel comfortable with.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Like the ratings state PG 13 then when they turn 13, if it is rated R then when they turn 18. I am sorry but I go by what the rating is.
    donamunns

Answer by donamunns at 3:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• The age for R rated is 17, 18 is only for porn. It would depend on my kids and how they handle scary movies. My daughter freaks out easily, she's 11. My son is 17, so he can watch whatever he wants. He's pretty much been allowed to since age 15. But he's never really liked horror movies. None of us really do, we like action and suspense
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I let my kids sit and watch scary movies with us from a baby on. I watch a movie, they watch it too.

Answer by louise2 at 3:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If it's rated PG-13 I might allow them to watch it at 13 or 14. If it's rated R then they have to wait until they are 18.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• If any of my kids are not legally old enough to watch an 18 certificate film then they don't watch it simple as that.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• The thing is, is that not all kids are "too young" for certain ratings, some are more mature than others and those ratings are nothing more than guidelines. R is the only rating that a parent must accompany a child under the age of 17. Personally i've never been one to let a "panel" of people decide what I allow my children to watch or not. I'm a good parent and know whats apporpriate for my children or not. I always feel that common sense is more important. There have been a few times when i've seen a movie at a theater and couldn't understand why in the hell that some parents brought their young child in with them to see. Again, I think common sense is lacking in come instances lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Maybe 13. I do not want them to have scary dreams.
    colepip2

Answer by colepip2 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My dd has been watching horror movies her whole life....but she was about 4 when she decided that those kinds are her favorites....she is 7 now and watches them all the time.....this is her favorite time of year...lol...all the horror marathons
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I have always been petrified of scary movies. I will never watch them. My daughter is like me. But my son watches them at friends houses probably started around 11 - 12. They don't bother him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010