Can you literally scratch the ink off if you scratch too much at a new tattoo?

Mine itches SSSSOOOOOO bad! UGH!

I have done everything I can not to scratch at it.

Someone told me I could scratch the ink off?

Is that true?

I'd be pissed. (lol)

It is now 3 days shy of being two weeks old.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 3:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Yeah, no...you can't. You can deform the outline if you scratch a scab off because your skin will heal together at different areas...which could screw up the design but the ink goes down through several layers of skin. Good moisturizer, constantly...make sure it's alcohol free. That'll keep it it moist and without the alcohol, it'll cut down on the drying effect. Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• You can't really scratch the ink off, but if you still have some scabbing and itch the scabs off, some of the ink may come with it (if that makes sense?)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• You won't scratch the whole tattoo off, but you can make it come out all spotty if you itch the scabs off. It's hard not to itch it but don't do it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I did that when I first got my tattoo. I scratched a scab and the scab came off with a whole bunch of "live" skin and there went part of my tattoo. Now my heart has a small white dot where the scab came off.

Use Lubriderm and just rub it in real well. It should help with the itching, at least a little.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, you can't. Andit will eventually stop itching. Just hang in there.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I thought the ink is embedded in your skin. Like under it a bit? Not just sitting there on top. I dont think its possible or why would you need a laser treatment to get rid of one if you could do that?
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No you cant starch the ink it will just irritate the area to scratch it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't know about scratching the ink out, but definitely be careful with it. I had one done on the side of my calf a few years ago and it was SOOOOOOOOOO dry! Like, I would roll over in the morning and put lotion on it and before I could get back from the potty it was so dry it was almost painfully pulling. Seeking some heavier duty moisture, I smeared a super thin layer of vaseline on the top and went out to get started with my day. Not five minutes later I look down and the ink is literally oozing out of my tattoo. I took a kleenex and laid it on top of it to dry it off and it came off with a perfect impression of my tattoo on it. After that, I wiped off the vaseline and went to the store and got a travel size container of Palmer's shea butter formula in the jar and I will forever swear by that stuff for a tattoo. It was the only thing that kept enough moisture in and for more than five minutes.
    GrahamsMomAngel

Answer by GrahamsMomAngel at 3:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Oh, and I do have lighter/darker spots in the color as well after that. I had a month to go back and get it touched up for free, but I didn't feel like it was healed enough to go back within that time, and I've just been lazy about it since.
    GrahamsMomAngel

Answer by GrahamsMomAngel at 3:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• it's itchy because it's dry! get some good lotion! I use aquaphor when I get new ones. the itchiness will go away!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2010