Cloth Diapers

I'm thinking about using cloth diapers but i have no idea where to start. What should i get? Is there a web page where I can order them from? How many should i buy? What baby products can i and can't i use with them. And do you think they do help with saving money after you buy them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A friend of mine said that they are wonderful. I don't know where to go to get them, but she did say they were VERY pricey. Maybe the big lump sum could save you hundreds, if not thousands in the upcoming months/years.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I know they save you money especially if you are planning on using them on future children too. Mine have been used on 3 children (my 2 and SIL's 1). I would recommend www.diaperpin.com as a good starting point. I preferred chinese prefolds with a nice tight fitting cover or in the winter fitted diapers with wool pants.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I ordered from here TheLuvYourBaby.com site. They were the most inexpensive All In One cloth diapers I came across. I ordered 10 of the Heavy Wetter/Night Time ones. As well as 10 of the regular snap closure ones. I can advise this....get the snaps that close the diapers, not velcro...as velcro over time wears out!!!! These were the cheapest ones I found. You can google AllInOne cloth diapers and tons of kinds pop up. I saved hundreds of dollars. Even spending an extra $20 or so in water to rinse and wash each day, for 2 babies, is nothing compared to the over $100 a month diapers would cost.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• and BTW, my youngest has been in cloth diapers most of his life and had one diaper rash when he was sick. and his excema around his legs cleared completely up when I stopped using disposables. I LOVE THEM
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I just started cloth diapering 3 months ago when my son was 2 months, I tried many kinds before we found something we liked that worked for our family. The AIO take longer to dry and are harder to get clean. We went Bumgenius 4.0 pocket diapers with snap closures. Dont go with diapers with velcro closures,the velcro doesnt hold up and you always have to make sure its closed before wasing. Go with a OneSize diaper so you wont ever need to change sizes and buy new.Pocket diapers are nice because you can stuff with as many inserts as you need. I use 1 during the day changing every 3 hours, and 2 if we have to go 4-5 hours.The inserts come so much cleaner in the wash because they arent hooked into the diaper like the AIO's. You cant use just any detergent or you will get buildup on the diapers and they leak. Go to www.jilliansdrawers.com you can try any diaper for a month and return it if you dont like it!

wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• continued:
    I dont like the diapers that dont have a layer of fleece in between the babys skin and the insert. The pocket diapers have the soft fleece layer which keeps the babys skin dry. I dont want a wet insert against my babys skin, those tend to cause diaper rashes.
    Jillians drawers has lots of info on their website about detergents and washing instructions. I use Country Save detergent or RockinGreen-I order them both online. To wash my diapers I run a cold water rinse cycle, hot water wash with 1tbs detergent, and extra rinse,always using the highest water level setting. The extra rinse gets rid of all the soap so it doesnt irritate baby skin. I have always hung my diapers to dry on a drying rack to save more money. It takes some time to figure it all out, we LOVE it!!!

wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010