Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 Bumps

Can we get custody if a baby proven to be my husband's is in states custody?

My husband may have a baby girl that will be two soon, the mother "Susie" assured him that another man was the father of this child. She gave the date of conception etc & it all matched up. I see pictures of this child on a very regular basis due to family connections &the baby is looking more&more like my husband.We have requested a dna test on the childnot only because of that,but because the child is in state custody because her mother was busted in a meth house where they were MAKING the meth with the baby IN the house ,&also the baby had recorded ciggerette burns on a leg at the age of 6 months,she has also never had neverlived in a home for over a month.The grandma(whom has power of attorney) says she HOPES the baby is my husband's because she is old&will not live to complete raising this child&she knows she would have a happy/stable home life with my huband&i. will they give us this child?my husband is also military..

Answer Question

Asked by Mrs.Minyard09 at 3:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 6 (107 Credits)
Answers (18)
  • You've likely got a good shot at obtaining custody, you should talk to an attorney about the steps to take in your area.

    Answer by Scuba at 3:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • From what all you have described it's a huge chance he'll get the girl if he's the father.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • I can imagine they would place the child with you if no other family member wanted her. They would have to interview you all & check you home out & run back ground check probably. That's my understanding. I'm sure someone will have a better answer then me though. Good luck.

    Answer by lisa89j at 3:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • I don't see why not. I applaud the two of you for wanting to take care of this baby and give her a better life. Good luck to you and I hope someone else has a better answer for you then I do:)

    Answer by shanlaree at 3:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • I sure hope so, the "mother" has since this baby was born had ANOTHER baby and he is being left with friends etc while she "hits the club" and dates guys that say they're going to shoot her family members in the head. I've got text messages from HER locked on my phone where shes telling me she will "make my kids orphans"(i have 2 boys) if we even put in the paper work for a dna,and then she sent one to my husband stating "Be prepared to start dishing out some money sweetie". Can she get child support (that would UNDOUBTLY support her meth habit) for a child she doesnt have custody of?she hasnt had custody since the baby was like 10 months and she'll be 2 in december.. thank yall for your input!!

    Comment by Mrs.Minyard09 (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • yes if the mother is unable to care for her child the NEXT person they usually always give the child is the father...i have friends that do foster and i have seen a lot of cases where the child is taken from the mother awarded to the state (county) and then given to the father...IF THE FATHER IS WILLING TO CARE AND DO FOR HIS will be watched and a case worker will be assigned to you and the child but if everything is good then you live a happy life with the of luck that baby needs family and by the looks of it the baby has had a rough start...


    Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 3:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • If he is indeed the father then you have just as much chance as the grandparents at getting full custody and maybe more depending on your home situation. They will not just hand the child over, but as long as you pass all the states tests etc. then there would be good chance you would get the baby.

    Answer by aeneva at 3:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • If your husband is proven to be the father, then he should be able to easily be rewarded custody of his own child. As for the mother and child support, if it is awarded, it will go to the person who has actual custody of the child. It does not automatically go to the mother.

    For the sake of that little girl - do the test and pray that your husband IS the father so that she has a chance of a good life.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • I don't see why you wouldn't be awarded custody if he is the biological father. Do the test!!!!

    Answer by Mom2ChelNJustin at 3:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

  • I want to add here, if she continues to send you harassing messages like that i would report it. Even if the police say they can't do anything, you may need that documentation later. As for the child support issue, like someone said, they wont give it to HER. She doesn't have custody of the child.

    Answer by lisa89j at 4:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Will the doc stop you labor if...