Has anyone ever been on a birth control that made them not have a menstrual cycle in 3 yrs or longer?

I haven't had one since my son was 1 wk old and hes 3 1/2 and the dostor says it's normal..was on depo for 2 yrs now i have the mirena

honesty33

Asked by honesty33 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Health

• Depo and Mirena are both forms of birth control that will cause you to not have a period.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• i've had mirena 4 almost 5 yrs and haven't had a period since it was put in.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• only when i was on the depo...i went almost 4 yrs...i had some spotting every now and then but hardly ever
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was on Depo for 4.5 years, and didn't have a period for 5yrs.

I started back....well, thought I did...in January, and they have been HIGHLY irregular. Finally went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago, and he said that I'm not ovulating, so I'm now on progesterone for 10days every month to make myself ovulate and regulate myself.
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 3:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• thanx for all ur answers ..people keep tellin me im hurting my body by not havin it
    honesty33

Comment by honesty33 (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Apparently when I started back until now...like I said, I wasn't ovulating, I was bleeding because I was building up on the lining of my uterus with estrogen.

I was told while I was on it, that it's okay, after a few years they were starting to suggest that I look into a different form of BC though, and think that that was mainly because I wasn't having cycles, and at a young age (17-22) that's not the best thing for your body. But when I went to the doctor's a couple of weeks ago, he almost sounded like he was suggesting I get back on it, but hubby and I are ready to start our family (not trying, just not preventing).
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 4:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I was on depo for a year at one point and never had a period that whole year
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010