How young is too young for a boy to have a skateboard?

My son is begging for a skateboard for Christmas. I will not let him ride unsupervised. Having said that...how young is too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know 5 year old boys that have skateboards and they do just fine with them. Is your son younger than that?
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• How old is he? I think my son was 5 when he got one. He was never really into it though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• my 3 yr old DD has had a skateboard since she was 1 yrs old (her dad skates all the time) she has barely started being able to use it standing up and of course she always has a helmet and pads on! hope this helps! :)
    VERONICAS_MOM

Answer by VERONICAS_MOM at 4:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• depends on the child... his coordination, his ability to listen to your rules, and how much common sense he has when it comes to outdoor play. I have known 3/4 yr olds who could handle a skate board and I have known 10 yr olds i wouldnt trust near one.

If you choose to get him the board - then be a responsible parent and get him a helmet and wrist guards too!

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• He is 7 and yes sahlady...I am a responsible parent and will be purchasing all things necessary to keep him safe if I choose to buy the skateboard. Thanks for your concern.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I don't think there is a too young unless you're talking about a toddler. Just get him a helmet and some pads too because he's bound to take a few spills learning how to balance on it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• super duper... so many parents forget those items. 7 is a good age if he is coordinated. and many of the YMCAs around here have little skate boarding classes. Actually our middle school even has a skate pe class for those who are good enough. who knows, starting at 7 might make him reallllly good by that age.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My son and nephew have had there's since they were 4 yrs old. They have pads, However they are 9 now and hardly use them.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 5:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I would think 7-10
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2010