Anti bullying bill of rights, thoughts?

TRENTON, N.J. - New Jersey lawmakers introduced an "anti-bullying bill of rights" Monday that one advocate said would be the toughest state law of its kind in the nation, a proposal that follows the widely publicized suicide of a Rutgers University student who was humiliated online.

The proposal was introduced by a bipartisan group of legislators and advocates and seeks to augment laws New Jersey passed eight years ago. It would require anti-bullying programs in public K-12 schools and language in college codes of conduct to address bullying.

State Sen. Barbara Buono, a Democrat from Metuchen who was one of the main sponsors of the 2002 law, said she has learned since then how prevalent bullying is as parents of tormented children have called her office. The original law only encouraged anti-bullying programs and wasn't doing enough, she said.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it would be great for educators and employees at schools to be trained to handle the bullying issue. I also think that parents need to be more involved with their children and that prevention starts at home. As a parent, I would want to know if my child was a bully or was bullied. If she were the bully, I would stop it. That's it. No, "I'll try, but kids are kids and I can't control them all the time" crud. I would take neccessary measures dependent on the level of bullying. If she were to one being bullied, I woul let the other parents know. I'd let the school know. I would not give in to "no, please don't. I'll be embarrased" If I had to, I'd take her out of that school. I would take any action to keep my child from being bullied or from bullying.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 4:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I think it is an awesome idea who's time has come!

Answer by older at 4:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• That's true, the saying 'kids will be kids'. It was ok long ago. But bullying has been take to a whole new level. And parents are just not as involved as they used to be. Partly because both parents work in many households, and partly, IDK why. EVERYONE that works in a school should be trained on how to recognize bullying, and how to handle situations. But, so much funding has been reduced, they will say there just isn't enough funding. However, I'm betting there are organizations that would be willing to do the training free of charge if it would benefit children. Or states could be held accountable for it.
    Any laws already on the books just aren't cutting it. You can have the law, but if it's not upheld, it isn't worth a shit. These bullying problems should never have gotten out of hand. Kids can't even defend themselves without fear of suspension themselves.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We do not need more laws!!

We need teachers to do their jobs!!!!!! The schools should protect our kids!!
    ---------------------------------------------------

People pass laws that we do not need just for brownie points.

There are law against killing and stealing?? and people are still doing it.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• That would be so awesome to get something like that out. Our children need to be protected instead of bullying always being over looked.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• gammie~yes, laws can be broken but with the law there is punishment. I think that many school employees, both faculty and staff, just aren't equipped to handle the problem.

***
    It's a fine line that teachers and school administrators walk...for fear of parents suing the district for making their little "snowflakes" out to be monsters!!

I LOVE our school Principal, she is the youngest of 5, and 3 of her older brothers are police officers--both locally and state. She often invites a few officers over to have little "chats" with the bullies! One particularly obstinate bully (who had been given numerous warnings, behavior plans, and interventions) was handcuffed and brought down to the local police station for a (mock) booking! He's been as quiet as a mouse ever since! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Bullying starts at home when little kids watch and listen to their parents being bullies and bashing people behind their backs. And when those kids are smacked with a paddle, they start being hurt and hateful. THEN when these poor little kids go to school ,hurt and fearful, they feel much more powerful if they can emulate theor parents and bash in class and on the playground kids verbally and physically. TRAIN the parents to be GOOD parents and most of the bullying will stop.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• We need teachers to do their jobs!!!!!! The schools should protect our kids!!

You mean we need parents to do their jobs. Most of the worst bullying is born in the home, where kids mimick what they hear from their parents. If their parents tell jokes about race or religion, the kids think it's ok to bully people over race and religion. If parents are anti-gay, kids think it's ok to bully anti-gay. Kids don't just wake up one day and decide that it's time to go tell all the Hispanic kids to go home or tell the kid with the high voice to go find his boyfriend. They have to learn it first.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• My concern is we live in the land of extremes. I believe bullying is unacceptable let me be clear. I don't want to see Kindergarteners suspended for calling their friend a "dummy". While a situation like that should be handled by the teacher we need to stay reasonable.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2010