Help!! Need respite in Marion County Fl.

my daughter is 24 and so has aged out of school. She is on the waiting list for a medicaid waiver but until then we are both home together all day and she really needs a place to be around her peers, even if only part time. Any suggestions?

dnysgrl

Asked by dnysgrl at 4:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Has she looked for a job - like Wal-Mart Greeter or other place that will hire her?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• She is basically total care and unable to work
    dnysgrl

Comment by dnysgrl (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Is there an adult daycare in your area?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• that's what Im looking for. I have been told however that there is a long wait for the medicaid waiver program and without that she cannot get into daycare.
    dnysgrl

Comment by dnysgrl (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• have you looked into local rehab centers? I don't know about FL but here in western NY we have a center that works with disabled adults and children. They provide socialization, res-hab, respit, and even have a factory where some of the clients can work by doing simple tasks like packing products for shipment. My son is 13 and multiply disabled and we can get respit if we need/want it but we haven't utilized that option yet. He does get res-hab twice a week for 2 hrs a say and it has really benefited our whole family. I know that they offer the same services for adults as they provide my son.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 1:26 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Here in little ol Roseburg, Oregon we have a non-profit group that puts developmentally disabled people to work, people who are unable to work anyplace else. They work for a lower wage, doing simple repetitive tasks that are geared to their particular skill level. This place does recycling, makes pallets, and Christmas tree stands, for example. Check around and see if anything like that is available.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 26, 2010

• Sarah is not able to work. She needs one on one assistance with daily life skills. Our area does offer programs she can attend. Apparently the problem is getting her a medicaid waiver. From what I understand Florida is one of the poorest states for services that she needs. When I applied for the waiver services I was told there were at least 19,000 people waitng just for the waiver :(
    dnysgrl

Comment by dnysgrl (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Relatives in another state? MOVE? Possibility?
    Wilma2

Answer by Wilma2 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2010