Do you believe with this statement?

The bible is the route to all issues...

My husband just said this to me when I asked him to seek help for his issues he has but he refuses to talk to anyone even though he knows it will help our marriage if he seeks help. He refuses and thinks just reading the bible will fix everything.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2010 in Relationships

• Why did he change? One thing he needs to understand is that he can't change you. Funny that he wants to do that, usually that's what us women try so hard to do, change the man. You are so right, he needs to respect your beliefs. Although, it will be very hard working through your marriage troubles with differing beliefs when one thinks the religious beliefs is the way to go. Talk with him. I don't think it necessarily will take you both using the same method of working on things. Not when you are working towards the same thing. Think about it, you can take different roads and end up in the same place, right?
    I don't agree with his statement. I personally believe religion is the root of all trouble, or evil, however you wanna look at it. Look at how many wars have been started over it. How many fights. Religion and money.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Seems like he was skirting the issue with that statement.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 4:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Me personally.

No. I do not agree with that statement. 1) Not a Christian..2) Bible same as all other holy texts, ..3) Any sacred texts is not going to fix all your problems just by reading it.. It takes reading it, and putting the change you want to happen in actions.

Reading the Bible or any other "holy" books is great for advice, guidance..ect.. Each individual takes something different from each one of those books..

However.. The only way a person can change, is by accepting their fault, accepting that they need to change, WANTING to change, and the actively working on changing.. Just reading alone does not do those things.. IF he is putting into action what he takes from the Bible and is actively working to change. That's one thing.. IF he is just reading the Bible and thinking this will just change all on their own because he's reading it..Then that's something different, and change is less likely.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• He is hiding behind the bible like a lot of people do, he needs to respect your wishes on the subject.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• What does he think reading is going to d exactly? You have to do something other than read the bible for things to change/become fixed....life isn't as easy as reading a book and then everything magically falls inti place.

I would ask him how he thinsk reading the bible will solve the problem(s)..I really do not understand...it seems ilke thats a way really to avoid confronting the issue and doing something about it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• No, I don't but maybe he feels his faith will make it better.......

Answer by older at 4:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Type "A" s, and controlling people, and hot-heads are usually not candidates for faith intervention. or counseling. or their spouses intervention, so...if he is a type "A" , good luck : )
    Anonymous

• He is hiding behind his new-found faith rather than dealing with the actual issues at hand. I don't believe his statement is correct - unless both parties believe the same thing. I'm sorry.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Compromise, have your preacher give you some marital counseling. The Lord helps those who help themselves!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• Calmly tell him you want to help him but that is not how you think you can. You should still support his reading the bible and tell him that so he knows you do care.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2010